Connecting Wood Stove to Stainless Tee Through Masonry Adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hexa Fox

Sep 19, 2023
West Virginia
Hey people,

Hope everyone is doing well as we approach the New Year! As many of you know I m installing DuraLiner in my chimney. I make progress here and there. Right now I have the cap assembly and liner down my chimney. I have tried to educate myself using past threads from here. I was reading that some liners can contract and expand a good deal. From my understanding my masonry thimble setup is at least somewhat unusual in that the horizontal run is a little longer.

Anyway, I am trying to find the best way to connect my new stove to the tee that is already inside my chimney. I saw a forum here where people were saying to use self tapping screws. I was told I could also use stainless rivets. I decided to go with double wall stove pipe which has definitely slowed down my progress. I did not realize special adapters were required. Anyway, I was hoping to get at least some advice or ideas on what I need to do. For instance, the stuff that is going through my thimble is very thin telescoping pipe. I planned to rivet it together and then tape it with high heat tape. I typed this once because but I am in this very odd situation where 2' of pipe is just a little too much but the telescoping adapter is not enough with a 1' section of pipe which sucks. So I bought another telescoping adapter to bridge it together and obviously want to make certain it works out.

As you guys know this stuff is really expensive and I would rather get it right the first time to not only save myself money but to make sure it is not potentially dangerous either. So what type of screws/fasteners do you guys use? I also hope to get the stove up and running as soon as possible too.