Connection to stove,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Country Lady

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
We purchased a propane heater and the gas line doesn't have threads where the heater can be easily hooked up. The gas line is in the foundation and the plumber "thinks" we may have to break out the bricks to get to the line. Has anyone had experience with this problem and any suggestions?

Could you maybe post a picture of what you are dealing with?

This is the bottom of the fireplace and the connection to the heater.

IMG-1154 (1).jpg IMG-1155.jpg

Yeah, that's a new one on me, too. I'm not a plumber or fireplace pro, but I've seen a lot of stuff. Is there a valve adjacent to the fireplace that controls that gas line?

A couple of thoughts:
Could that be a connection to a gas log set? Maybe with a grate that sets down into that and the grate carries the gas to the logs? Hard to tell without seeing where in the fireplace things are located, but probably not, I've not seen such a thing.

Is that some sort of fancy gas connection that used to have a threaded nipple for a connector, that's now broken off?

In any case, I "think" the plumber is probably right, but you might want a plumber that isn't "thinking". After all, you're hiring them for their experience and knowledge, and that's probably not the only one of whatever that is that was installed in your area.

It might make more sense to leave that and the bricks in place, and build a new line, but in any case, I can't see any way you're going to connect those two pieces.

I'd be interested to learn how this story ends!

How far from the firebox is the other end of this line?
What does that end look like?
Can you post a pic of that end?