Considering a used Caddy Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CYOUNG7938

Nov 14, 2019
I found a used green PSG Caddy Furnace in really good condition (serial # 20729) for less than $1k. The current owner had it set up to run off of a blower of his main heat source. Its simply the furnace and a plenum for sale. We just build a home and the plan is to add a wood add on furnace this month. I really wanted a separate blower system for a separate add on wood furnace. Would it be best to try to find a aftermarket blower assembly to run as its own add on system? I really want to make this work but it may cost more to get it set up as a separate add on unit than the furnace cost itself. Is there any aftermarket blower assemblies that would work? If i just keep in manually controlled that would be fine with me. My original plan was to look for a slightly used Englander 28-4000 as this is not a main source of heat and it seems to be solid for the price point. Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated on the best way to make this furnace work for my situation.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

When I got my Caddy about 7 or so years ago they sold this model. The dealer I bought mine from didn't recommend it because he said he'd seen some issues with them. I believe he said they are / can be a little bit of a pain to setup correctly. I bought the model that has a blower on it.

If you have some electrical knowledge and maybe know a tin knocker you probably could buy a 4 speed 1/3 HP blower motor ( I'd spring for a model with ball bearings ), Honeywell fan limit switch, and you'd be set. You could throw a speed controller on it down the road to the help with constant on - off at the end of the burn cycle. The panel in the back is where you would mount the blower motor to. Have the tin knocker build a cold air return that surrounds the motor and pulls air from the top of your basement or duct work. I'd have them built a slot to put an air filter in too. The fan limit switch would need to be mounted inside of the plenum on top of the furnace.

For less than 1k, I don't think you can go wrong buying it. IMHO - it is a much better furnace than and Englander. Hopefully the person you are buying the furnace from still has the original manual. You can find them via google too. If you do buy it, I'd take the bricks and the top baffle out before transporting it. The top baffle is a little pricey from what others have said.

Could put a bimetallic spring control on it too...like the amish do...

My original plan was to look for a slightly used Englander 28-4000
These guys sell "factory seconds" for Englander...free shipping too...

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the furnace and install in series. No dampers in the system and if the fire dies...the central furnace would automatically kick in. The furnace looks clean and for $1000, that's a good deal. With a new home...a Caddy would be a good match.

Yup. Installed in series, down from the gas furnace using the furnace fan. Ours was new in 2016, so its a bit newer. It works great to heat our 1700 square foot home.