Considering building a faux fireplace...

BrokenSquirrel Posted By BrokenSquirrel, Oct 6, 2018 at 6:09 PM

1. BrokenSquirrel

BrokenSquirrel
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Hello.

I’m new here. I’m considering building a faux fireplace in my living room and would like to use a pellet stove insert. Considering the Harmon Accentra52i-TC or Quadrafire Mt. Vernon AE insert. Anyone ever done this?

I realize these are intended for use in existing chimneys but can I vent these straight out the wall instead?

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

2. Former Farmer

Former Farmer
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 12, 2008
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes and Yes. If you look at the owners manual, it will show how the stove can be vented. Must use venting rated for pellet stoves.

The manuals also show dimensions for the opening for the stove. You can build almost anything as long as you follow clearances and dimensions from the owners manual.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    FirepotPete and BrokenSquirrel like this.
  3. BrokenSquirrel

BrokenSquirrel
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Hamersville, Ohio

The Harmon manual does show the vent taking a 90 degree turn and then venting right out the wall but the Quadrafire stove only showed it going straight up a chimney so wondered if it’s possible that one?

4. Former Farmer

Former Farmer
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 12, 2008
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes you can with the Quadrafire as well.

From the manual :
    Hearth and Home Technologies strongly suggests:
    • Installing the pellet venting with a minimum vertical
    run of 5 feet (1.52m).
    • Installing the outside air kit at least 4 feet (1.22m)
    below the vent termination.

Some people have the vertical rise on the exterior of their house instead of the inside to keep a cleaner look inside. I would keep it inside if possible, so the venting drafts better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    BrokenSquirrel and FirepotPete like this.
  5. BrokenSquirrel

BrokenSquirrel
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Thanks

6. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Member 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
  7. BrokenSquirrel

BrokenSquirrel
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Thank you I didn't know about the zero clearance box. What makes you recommend the Trecker over the Mt. Vernon?

Thanks!

8. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Member 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    The Trecker is the fourth generation of the Mount Vernon. Quad has kept the AE in production because everything except for the igniter is 12 V so it is technically possible to run it off a battery, but this is not really a realistic option unless you have a limitless supply of fully charged brand new deep Cycle batteries. The trecker is basically a simplified Mount Vernon with less to go wrong. That being said, both are solid stoves.

9. BrokenSquirrel

BrokenSquirrel
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Thanks for the info. Is Quadrafire and Harmon the same company? seems like I read that somewhere, didn't know if it was true.

10. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Member 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    Hearth and Home Technologies is a conglomeration of Harman, Quadrafire, Heatilator, Heat and Glow, Vermont Castings, Majestic and some other hearth companies. It’s a huge corporation but basically they used to be separate companies but now they are the same.