Considering oval liner with sirocco 25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pyrojoe

Oct 18, 2011
Central Indiana
So I've been agonizing over my next insert purchase and am leaning pretty heavily toward a sirocco 25. The other part of the equation is the liner...I have a 12x8 O.D. clay liner. I'm assuming that's going to make it difficult to get a standard insulated flex liner down. One installer suggested we might get a 6" round rigid DuraLiner to fit because it has a smaller O.D. than others. He also suggested busting out the clay liner. He was hesitant to use an oval liner saying they don't draft as well.

I feel like I'd prefer to use a 6" oval liner for ease of install and to avoid having to bust out the clay. My question is, with a 2 story (approx 24') chimney, should draft be a concern with the oval liner? It's about the same area. Additionally, any thoughts applied to the Sirocco 25 specifically?

All Clay tiles will measure slightly different, so your 12" x 8" is around 10.5" x 6.5" inside, you may wish to verify that measurement. A 6" Round Flex liner will be (6.25" OD), and the Tee Connector body is about 6.5".
If you are going to Ovalize the liner you may need to go with a 6.5" liner and then ovalize it to a 5" x 8.15", and that is equal to a 6" liner -28 sq "
I do not believe that Dura-vent Rigid pipe is any smaller than other Rigid pipe (6.125 OD), but Rigid pipe in general is smaller than flex liner.

Breaking out the clay flue tiles is very common when installing a liner, because it is such a tight fit. We have not even discussed the insulation that would add about 1" to 1.5" to a flex liner. Making the liner 6.5" - 6.75" very close to your chimney opening.
Also cutting out the Damper Frame would be recommend making it easier to bring the liner through that area.

I have a gas insert in there now, which has the top sealed up nice, so I've waited to get an actual I.D. measurement. The damper is already out for that install, so at least that's taken care of. I was referring to the factory insulated double wall rigid DuraLiner here: http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=6. I think the premise was that it's O.D. is less than a flex plus insulation. I can't find a O.D. spec anywhere for that though, which is partly why I'm leaning toward just getting the oval version. It should be easier and keep me from having to potentially bust out the clay. Anyone have experience with the oval version of this product? Any draft loss going to oval? Would love to hear how finicky the sirocco 25 is on draft requirements too.

Pyrojoe, check out northline express , they sell duraliner , I just looked , it shows 6 and 5/8" for the 6" round . 4 -3/4"x 7- 3/4 for the oval

Pyrojoe, check out northline express , they sell duraliner , I just looked , it shows 6 and 5/8" for the 6" round . 4 -3/4"x 7- 3/4 for the oval

Brian1971, good to know. Thanks for that. Would still appreciate thoughts on draft loss with oval given a decent length chimney.

Brian1971, good to know. Thanks for that. Would still appreciate thoughts on draft loss with oval given a decent length chimney.
There will be a very slight loss of draft over an equal volume round liner. But it shouldnt be enough to cause a problem as long as your height is over the minimum.

[QUOTE="double-d, post: 2298731, member: ]
If you are going to Ovalize the liner you may need to go with a 6.5" liner and then ex liner.

Breaking out the clay flue tiles is very common when installing a liner, because it is such a tight fit. We have not even discussed the insulation that would add about 1" to 1.5" to a flex liner. Making the liner 6.5" - 6.75" very close to your chimney opening.
Also cutting out the Damper Frame would be recommend making it easier to bring the liner through that area.[/QUOTE]
I can figure out the first few feet of breaking out the clay but what's the better method of 15 feet down in the middle of chimney? Special tool?

[QUOTE="double-d, post: 2298731, member: ]
If you are going to Ovalize the liner you may need to go with a 6.5" liner and then ex liner.

Also cutting out the Damper Frame would be recommend making it easier to bring the liner through that area.
I can figure out the first few feet of breaking out the clay but what's the better method of 15 feet down in the middle of chimney? Special tool?[/QUOTE]
Yes a tile breaker. But in most cases i try to avoid removing tiles from a fireplace unless they are already damaged.

I can figure out the first few feet of breaking out the clay but what's the better method of 15 feet down in the middle of chimney? Special tool?
Yes a tile breaker. But in most cases i try to avoid removing tiles from a fireplace unless they are already damaged.[/QUOTE]

Never really gave much thought but after googling chimney tile breaker all kind of options came up.

Those rotary ones work good?

Yes a tile breaker. But in most cases i try to avoid removing tiles from a fireplace unless they are already damaged.

Never really gave much thought but after googling chimney tile breaker all kind of options came up.

Those rotary ones work good?[/QUOTE]
They are the only ones i have used. The best is the ones with steel balls on chains.