Considering Purchasing A Husqvarna 439

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pretty small. What are you going to be using it for?

Pretty small. What are you going to be using it for?
Yes I'm after a small saw for cutting limbs and sometimes for cutting the hair that holds the rounds together when splitting . I'm in my retirement years and even though my 562 is a light saw at arms length for cutting limbs its feels pretty heavy .

Yes I'm after a small saw for cutting limbs and sometimes for cutting the hair that holds the rounds together when splitting . I'm in my retirement years and even though my 562 is a light saw at arms length for cutting limbs its feels pretty heavy .
I have a 562XP as well -- no way I would call that a light saw! You're tougher than I am. :)

I was going to suggest a 550XP for a lighter all-around saw, but that's likely much more saw than what you need.

Nothing good nothing bad ,so the thinking became a reality !
100_5275.JPG

100_5277.JPG

And my wife can start it !

Reactions: ErikR
My wife can start her's as well. She has a little 110 volt plug in chainsaw she uses on the bushes once in a while and everytime she uses it, I have to fix the cord because she cuts it in two.... :)

Reactions: hobbyheater
I use a battery electric saw with a 16" bar for limbing and other smaller work. Very light, instant on, no fumes, much more power than a person might think. The brand is EGO, 56V, 5ah battery. I also have an EGO electric lawnmower, 56V, 7.5 ah battery. The batteries are interchangeable, and also fit other EGO electric tools. Very satisfied with both.

This is my wife's favorite chainsaw starts every time no cords to cut and the battery runs the lawn mower and whipper sniper .
If its dry weather I take it wood cutting for limbing and for cutting the hair holding split rounds together .
IMGP5438.JPG

The cordless saw had more power than the old XL2 !
100_0605 - Copy.JPG

Tell me about the electric Stihl...
How good is the battery?
I am looking to get one for burl hunting. Then there is no noise to inform of your location.
Plus for cleaning up firesmarted areas of windfall. same thing no noise it's close to home,and if i asked about permits it would take so long the wood would be rotten.It's a mess and the original intent was to provide assess in the close to town spruce for spot fires ect. 5 years later you cant drive a quad through it.
I would like to limb by hand and cut the tree into manageable lengths load my mini truck and head home to process it.

Dirty little secret about electric chainsaws, most have a metal gear on motor that drives a big plastic gear that powers the chain. Get it jammed- by by plastic gear. I do not know personally how the battery units are set up. The only one I found with all metal gears was the corded Makita unit. What ever electric unit you purchase make sure replacement parts for drive train are available and not that you have to purchase a whole motor assembly which in most cases exceeds original purchase price. I get a dozen or so a year in for repair. My own electric is a Makita corded unit

Tell me about the electric Stihl...
How good is the battery?

I would like to limb by hand and cut the tree into manageable lengths load my mini truck and head home to process it.

The AP160 gives about 45 minutes run time on the saw , with good cutting speed and power throughout the cycle .The battery is now 7 year old. Yesterday I went firewood cutting and it did all the limbing and bucked a few smaller rounds and had 1 of 4 bars of charge left .

Dirty little secret about electric chainsaws, most have a metal gear on motor that drives a big plastic gear that powers the chain. Get it jammed- by by plastic gear. I do not know personally how the battery units are set up. The only one I found with all metal gears was the corded Makita unit. What ever electric unit you purchase make sure replacement parts for drive train are available and not that you have to purchase a whole motor assembly which in most cases exceeds original purchase price. I get a dozen or so a year in for repair. My own electric is a Makita corded unit
So far its given trouble free service and it is on its 4th chain.

Iv been on the fence for awhile for the ocassional need for small gas saw. Was going to rent one but the rental places will be shut down soon so theres that. I settled on an ECHO saw. The reviews are mostly very good and from a lot of Stihl owners so they tend to have a high expectation of quailty. They are about twice the price of some cheaper models but id rather save myself the hassle. They do have them in stock at HD but i decided to order one online and delivered. Time to self isolate before its too late.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Iv been on the fence for awhile for the ocassional need for small gas saw. Was going to rent one but the rental places will be shut down soon so theres that. I settled on an ECHO saw. The reviews are mostly very good and from a lot of Stihl owners so they tend to have a high expectation of quailty. They are about twice the price of some cheaper models but id rather save myself the hassle. They do have them in stock at HD but i decided to order one online and delivered. Time to self isolate before its too late.
I wanted a light saw and originally had a MS 170 with 16" bar to compliment 562 xp .The problem is the off/on switch is opposite on Husky and Sthil resulting in a lot of problems starting the saws so I sold the 170 bought the 439xp now both on/of switches work the same way!

I wanted a light saw and originally had a MS 170 with 16" bar to compliment 562 xp .The problem is the off/on switch is opposite on Husky and Sthil resulting in a lot of problems starting the saws so I sold the 170 bought the 439xp now both on/of switches work the same way!
Im glad your happy with it ,sounds like a good saw.

I'm a Stihl person and all I have for the most part. I bought one of the Stihl top handle Arborist saws oh, about a year ago and returned it. A very expensive gutless wonder. My issue with late model Stih's in general is, the noise police have really gotten into their line so you have to modify them (muffler to make any power) and for the price, I wan't going to fiddle with it so it went back and I got my money back. Being frugal like I am, I took a chance on a cheap top handle and I was impressed. I got a Tanaka (Mikita) top handle for 125 bucks delivered and that sucker screams. I use it all the time, my 'go to' saw for light stuff. Very impressed with a very cheap saw. Have to be careful not to park it by my Stihl's, they might rebel...

After using the new 16" ECHO Gas powered 34cc chainsaw for a few hours the other day i have to say the reviews are right on. 5 stars . Screams thru anything i threw at it . Once warm ,starts on the first pull every time. Best saw iv ever owned so far.

Update.: I thought the saw(Echo 16in) was getting hard to start, turns out i was chocking it way too much. After leaving it set for a few days i tried starting with NO chock at all and started on first pull. Iv cut up 2 large trees and one huge tree about twice the diameter of the saw bar. Still cutting on the original sharpened chain from new. Havnt sharpened it at all yet and still screams thru the hard ash and chestnut wood.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy