Considering selling VC Defiant 1610

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good asking price for a used 2008 VC Defiant 1610 non-cat? It was only used a month. Has no options. Has 8" flue collar. Standard black finish. Would the stove loose any more value in waiting to sell in the spring?

Thanks....

Just not happy with the Everburn, just seems like to much fuss. I really like the stove, the top loading and style. I really did not research the purchase very well. I just knew I wanted a top loader and was told by salesman that Everburn was the way to go.

Live and learn and then learn some more....

You know, now that I'm getting used to my Encore I think the only thing I wish is that I had gone with the Defiant - too bad we aren't closer, heh. Oh well... It has taken me a bit and I'm still learning this stove but I see the potential for it to work well for me, but it is undersized for my home (can't really blame the stove for that).

One way to get a read on market value is to look around on eBay. Rick

Rowski said:
Just not happy with the Everburn, just seems like to much fuss. I really like the stove, the top loading and style. I really did not research the purchase very well. I just knew I wanted a top loader and was told by salesman that Everburn was the way to go.

These stoves have a longer learning curve than many...it took me a while to get it... with lots of help from this site. Do not give up so easily! Ask questions here & many of them ;-)

Diabel said:
Rowski said:

These stoves have a longer learning curve than many...it took me a while to get it... with lots of help from this site. Do not give up so easily! Ask questions here & many of them ;-)

I haven't given up... just keeping my options open. Sounds like a cat stove is easier to run, easier on wood, but has more maintenance. I haven't found a lot of info on the Defiant 1945 cat stove.

The information I have gotten from this site is priceless. If I had not found this site and all the knowledge, this stove would be out the door. The weather here has been on a roller coaster. Hasn't been very cold long enough to really put the stove to work. The few nights its been below zero I did have some good burns. My trouble lies when its around 30*F, just trying to keep low heat.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Rowski, I have the same stove, got the same thing from the dealer, not sure which dealer you used! I talked to them about all the negative press etc and the things Ive learned on here, they still insist Everburn is the ticket and the stove in their shop works perfectly.

Im keeping my options open. I cant afford to get a new stove at this point so will limp along with this one for a bit and save for something that isnt so high maintenance when it comes to operation. I bought the thing before I found this site and trusted the advice of the shops. I dont think I could get that much selling it due to the company going bankrupt and the bad reviews all over the net on it.

D

dtabor said:
Rowski, I have the same stove, got the same thing from the dealer, not sure which dealer you used! I talked to them about all the negative press etc and the things Ive learned on here, they still insist Everburn is the ticket and the stove in their shop works perfectly.

Im keeping my options open. I cant afford to get a new stove at this point so will limp along with this one for a bit and save for something that isnt so high maintenance when it comes to operation. I bought the thing before I found this site and trusted the advice of the shops. I dont think I could get that much selling it due to the company going bankrupt and the bad reviews all over the net on it.

D

My father-in-law is from Elmore.

When I got it in my head that I wanted a wood stove, I wanted a top loader. I like(d) the fact that one could really load it full and not as much of a mess during reloading. I very good friend (former teacher of mine) had an Acclaim top loader with cat. He loved the stove its self but was not to crazy about the cat system. it was an older Acclaim. So I did my searching on the net (unfortunately did not find this site) found the VC and Harmon top loaders. I really liked the Harmon TL-300, the pedestal type stove with a huge ash pan. I went and looked at one at the dealer in end of May '08. Called the dealer in end of August (my first BIG mistake) to order me a TL-300. He said sorry your the third one on the list. So I called around and found one in southern VT it was a display model (had burned wood). At that time with fuel prices around $4 per gallon and I had very little time (short on help at work) I wasn't going to drive 3 hrs and loose a full day of work, second mistake. So I did a little more research, over the phone. Called about 4 dealers and got told by every single one that the Everburn was the way to go, stay away from the catalyst. So I went and purchased the Defiant from Fred's Propane in Newport.

I'm not try to blame anyone, the one to blame is myself, buyer beware. I am a bit disappointed that the dealers that I talked to are not knowledgeable and don't give the customer options, ie pros and cons of each system. I'm a technical type of person and can understand things if explained. On the other hand I'm not sure That the TL-300 using the downdraft system to would be any better or worse.

That's my story...

I must say that this site has been very very useful. I'm so glad I found it. It has helped me learn how to run my Defiant better in a shorter amount of time.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me!

Thank you hearth.com for LOTS of very useful information.

Derek

Attachments

• DSCN3843 (Small).JPG
    DSCN3843 (Small).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 341
We have the same stove and I like it alot. I just wish i had more wood. Its going
to be close. We put the stove in the dining/kitchen area with the living room adjacent.
Seems to keep us warm. Works well. It did take some learning. What doesnt. Ive
found that with 3 to 4 inch bed of coals trench a channel from the rear to the front
for the air to travel . Place 3 or 4 splits on and let that burn until temp hits 500 and
then close the damper. Adjust air from that point. Your gonna have to fittle with it.
Its a great stove.

Where is your stove located. looks basement or garage. Take care.

My wife and I are enjoying our Defiant immensely - now. Like many others, I was having some difficulty and frustration. Mostly due to the fact that I had done very little burning with the exception nominal campfire and fireplace experience. Thanks to this sight, my dealer, and VC rep. (who were helpful) I can keep the stove purring along to heat our 2400 sf house 24/7. After burning over a cord of wood, the stack is clean - which is my primary concern.

While this sight has been amazingly informative (and addicting) I wonder if some of the posts here didn't influence me to jump to some negative conclusions about my stove. After reading some, I was confident that we had wasted our money and our stove would never work properly. I began thinking of ways to sell the stove without loosing too much $$. I wonder if other new guys are having the same reaction. At the same time, there were some folks who were encouraging and very helpful - thank you.

I have nothing to compare my stove to in terms of ease of operation. I'm not certain that any other stove would have been easier for me to learn how to use, but perhaps so. There are times when I have to futz with the splits to engage the secondary, sometimes I have to adjust the secondary air on re-load, and I often keep an eye on it for 20 min. or so before going to bed or leaving for work. Maybe in a few years, we will have a different stove and I will realize how easy it is to use something other than my Defiant, I guess we'll see.

schortie said:
While this sight has been amazingly informative (and addicting) I wonder if some of the posts here didn't influence me to jump to some negative conclusions about my stove. After reading some, I was confident that we had wasted our money and our stove would never work properly. I began thinking of ways to sell the stove without loosing too much $$. I wonder if other new guys are having the same reaction. At the same time, there were some folks who were encouraging and very helpful - thank you.

wow... That's kinda my mind set. But I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Rowski,

You have a terrific stove. Learn it and enjoy it. Like any sophisticated and well engineered device there is some time necessary to understand all of the operational characteristics. Don't let a disinterested dealer undermine your product confidence. There are many dealers that care about the customer after the purchase, and a few others... that only want their profit on the sale.

My recent Encore NC is great. Your Defiant is about 25% larger scale of it. Hey, in this weather I could use some more BTUs!!

My advice is to read and apply all of the provided Vermont Castings information, Owners Manual, etc. and also from the VC website. Also there is a lot a great advice here on Hearth.com. Contact VC forum members for more advice and support from people like me!

Enjoy your fine Vermont Castings stove and keep warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.