Considering switching to sweeping every other year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Had my first cleaning in January this year. It was bad news (half of a 5 gallon bucket full and a small lower chimney fire). We were burning wet wood that we had bought (1st season) and had trouble getting the stove hot enough with the wet wood. After that we swapped to wood that I had CSS last spring/early summer that had a lower MC than the wood we bought. I have another cleanout scheduled in April although if the temps keep up I may only have 1-2 more fires until then. I am going to keep on a yearly cleanout with the company so someone can check the roof and I'll probably do it once or twice a season until I know I am doing everything correctly.
You're on the right track. As Ray Zalinsky said, "Good, you've pinpointed it. Step two is washing it out."

I clean mine every month. Im paranoid too.
With your setup you should be. A fire in your pipe could very well be catastrophic.

I dont see how it will catch fire if its clean. If thats the case, everyone is in danger.
I don't remember the details of your setup, but modern stainless liners with blanket wrap insulation are designed to handle a chimney fire without as much risk of catching the surrounding structure aflame.

I dont see how it will catch fire if its clean. If thats the case, everyone is in danger.
Most people have chimneys not connector pipe. Assuming the chimney is installed or built properly it will protect the house in the event of a chimney fire. Yours may or may not. There just isn't much protection there

I sweep twice a year. Im burning good wood and its always pretty clean. I get some soot and never more then a couple cups.I could go every couple years, but for the piece of mind I'll keep the 2xs. It doesn't cost me anything I do it myself and do it when the weather permits.. Id rather be safe then sorry.. my wife, kids and home mean more to me then kinda being lazy and not keeping up on my projects

Agreed that if you're using connector pipe, you'd best keep it as clean as possible, and make plans to replace with proper pipe as soon as possible.

Reactions: Seanbear
One thing I do know is a little soot is easy to clean, and a lot of soot isn't.

Regardless of how often I sweep I still get up and check the flue a couple of times a year, because otherwise you just don't know.

Most people have chimneys not connector pipe. Assuming the chimney is installed or built properly it will protect the house in the event of a chimney fire. Yours may or may not. There just isn't much protection there
Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by connector pipe? Like just straight up stove pipe instead of class A?

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by connector pipe? Like just straight up stove pipe instead of class A?
Yes they are using double wall stove pipe as a chimney

I repspect you guys' opinions, but how will it catch fire if theres nothing in there to burn? I clean it all the time, hardly anything to even Clean out. I know people that use single wall pipe, and their structures are still alive and kicking. I know in my head its not THE safest, but Im poor. How can I afford a chimney, when I cant afford oil, increased electric bill, ect......To all of you that have the PERFECT set up, good for you. In a perfect world I would too. Ill still be here next year, annoying you all, jk.

Can always slowly buy the parts to have a proper chimney setup over time to spread out the cost of it

I dont want to feel pity, but it would take me 5 years to save up 1500 to 2000 bucks. Even if I did, then my piece of junk stove will
look odd, so theres another 3000 5000. Thats not counting the hearth, fireboard ( stove board ) , Install fee. ect. Believe me I wish I could do it better, but what can I do you know? Its either this set up for now, or sit here and freeze to death......Id rather burn up, but thats just me.

I dont want to feel pity, but it would take me 5 years to save up 1500 to 2000 bucks. Even if I did, then my piece of junk stove will
look odd, so theres another 3000 5000. Thats not counting the hearth, fireboard ( stove board ) , Install fee. ect. Believe me I wish I could do it better, but what can I do you know? Its either this set up for now, or sit here and freeze to death......Id rather burn up, but thats just me.
The problem is you will most likely be spending $300 to $400 every few years replacing that connector pipe. Before long you could have bought a real chimney.

Why would you need a new hearth firebird ECT ECT? Don't you have all of that? Didn't you install this setup? Why would you have to pay for install?

I probably will TRY to replace in the spring,, but for now, this it. I keep the temp. between 250/400,,,,never burning while alone. No overnighters ( Im jealous! ), but just a heat source. Trust me, I value the comments on here a LOT, Im a newbie, and I learn every day, so thanks to all the posters on here! And thanks for the concern, there isnt many real people left in the world. I know im in ceosote range But I clean it every month, burn wood that is 15% or less. Most or my start up wood it like 6%.

I'm at 1 time a year. Got a good bit of black fines last month from the annual sweep. Some non ideal wood must have crept into the mix last year. Or i can blame my wife for running the stove way to cool when i'm away!

If you are burning clean it should be fine. I have considered it, as I don’t get much more than a pint of soot (if that). I like to inspect my chimney every fall, and it seems stilly not to take the time to clean the pipe while I am at it. The whole process takes no more than an hour for me, and it is a winters worth of piece of mind.

I do not go by time necessarily, I like to sweep every 4 cords assuming the wood is seasoned and proper burning practices are being done.
That would only be twice a decade for me;) maybe only once now I have two stoves to heat with.

Forgive me if it's already been posted, but what are the parameters of this setup? How many feet of what type of pipe are we discussing here?

I can say that you could have a safe reliable stove way under $3k - $5k. I remember the NC-30's were around $740 last time I looked at buying one, and I think the Drolets are about the same.