Soot and Stuff question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

highanddryinco

Burning Hunk
Aug 2, 2014
Denver, CO
Happy fall all. Just got done with my annual fall sweep. Soot-eater from bottom up. Roughly 26' straight up. about 15' of that is DVL to the ceiling transition support box. Photos attached of this year's clean out amount after a little over 3 cords of pine. Maybe a quart at most, very fluffy, almost zero sparkly stuff.
All is good (in my mind at least) even though it is a little more than I usually see each previous year. Probably because I toned things down a little last year after following a few threads here talking about high flue temps and recommendations. Full disclosure, I'm one of those stove top temp only guys at this point in time. Maybe I'll install a flue thermometer this year just to verify my burn.
95% of that amount fell down when the soot-eater reached the DVL to Class A transition. Below the transition, almost nothing. Above it, a few black sprinkles. It's been this way for the 10 years I've been running this stove. The question -- Any thoughts why the build up is only at the transition and is this normal?
20231014_142853.jpg20231014_142908.jpg

Happy fall all. Just got done with my annual fall sweep. Soot-eater from bottom up. Roughly 26' straight up. about 15' of that is DVL to the ceiling transition support box. Photos attached of this year's clean out amount after a little over 3 cords of pine. Maybe a quart at most, very fluffy, almost zero sparkly stuff.
All is good (in my mind at least) even though it is a little more than I usually see each previous year. Probably because I toned things down a little last year after following a few threads here talking about high flue temps and recommendations. Full disclosure, I'm one of those stove top temp only guys at this point in time. Maybe I'll install a flue thermometer this year just to verify my burn.
95% of that amount fell down when the soot-eater reached the DVL to Class A transition. Below the transition, almost nothing. Above it, a few black sprinkles. It's been this way for the 10 years I've been running this stove. The question -- Any thoughts why the build up is only at the transition and is this normal?
View attachment 316788View attachment 316789
Looks good to me. do you have a damper on 26’ ? What altitude are you at?

Looks good to me. do you have a damper on 26’ ? What altitude are you at?
Just under a mile high. No damper, thus the reason I tend to run a little hot if I don't check things down quick enough after a reload.

I ran a stove on 25’ of insulated liner at sea level for a season. Adding a damper made it much easier to control. If/once you start measuring flue gas temps the overdraft it becomes obvious if it exists.

Reactions: highanddryinco