Consolidated Dutchwest vs Napoleon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KateB

Jun 8, 2021
Missouri
I’m trying to figure out which stove to keep: our consolidated dutchwest federal airtight or a Napoleon 1400 that I bought off marketplace about four years ago. We’ve had the airtight since 1986 and it’s been a good stove, but I don’t know which would be more efficient.

What is the age of the Napoleon? Does any have a cat or secondary tubes?

I don't know the Napoleon, but I had a DW FA from '82 with a cat, and I have to say that a modern stove is a far improvement over that old stove.

Efficiency is likely better for a more modern stove. Wood consumption, pollution. So do you know the mfg date of the Napoleon? (Is there a plate on the back with that info?)

But, why are you asking here? You know which one you *like* better? Which one can you control better? Which one uses less wood?

This is a thread with some folks using a Napoleon 1400:

Maybe PM some of them? They do seem to like the stove.
@begreen also commented like he had one.

This is a thread with some folks using a Napoleon 1400:

Maybe PM some of them? They do seem to like the stove.
@begreen also commented like he had one.
I have seen them in houses and spoken with owners. With sufficient draft the 1400 is a decent mid-sized stove.