Constructing a Hearth for a Hearthstone Phoenix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Como

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2008
Colorado
www.comodepot.net
I have a Hearthstone Phoenix to put in on top of a wooden floor. The instructions are vague on the hearth. It will go in a corner, one side is 12" brick covered with plaster, the other Lathe and Plaster.

So as I understand it I can go closer to the brick wall than the lathe and plaster.

For the floor, I like the look of stone/slate, I may use local Lyons Red Stone say 2" thick, may also use it as a wall covering. But 1" thick.

Underneath the stone somebody suggested a product whsoe name I have forgot. Sounded like Ducrock but better insulative properties, Any ideas?

I have 14ft ceilings so no issues there. The chimney opening is about 8ft up, there used to be coal pot bellied stoves in the building, but n those days straight onto wood floors!

Any comments gratefully appreciated.

David

You want to put 1/2" Micore under the stone, not Durarock.
As far as clearances to the walls go, the manual will tell you
how close you can place the Phoenix. There should be a section which will
tell you single wall connector clearance & double-wall/rear heat shield clearance.

Micore is the best, especially if you want to keep your hearth thin. You can use durock too but you need to figure out what R value you need and then most likely you will need 2-4 layers of durock.

Your owner's manual also allows for the use of an air gap to get the required hearth insulative value. I could not find this micore stuff so I went with an air gap, durock, and tile using steel studs to build the raised hearth.

The phoenix is nice looking stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.