Q&A Consumer reports for stoves ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Is there a guide (like consumer reports) on the web that will compare stoves from various companies? This is my first time buying a stove (wood burning)- and one place swears by one manufacturer- and another place swears by a different one. I've seen quadrafire- jotul- dovre- regency- vermont casting- Woodstock Soapstone....i just cant tell them apart... thanx for your help.....

Answer:

No- there is no "consumers report" of stoves. Years ago- consumer reports did do an article on stoves- and it was so poor that I stopped reading the magazine !

UPDATE 2004: Try the stove rating database off the link below - HearthNet now has over 1200 consumer ratings.

Basically- here's the scoop Cast-Iron stoves - VC- Jotul- Dovre - These are usually more decorative and somewhat more expensive than the steel ones. If one catches your eye- go for it. Woodstock - Soapstone stoves - Again- this can be a style decision. They work well, and users have reported great satisfaction with them. <p>Steel stoves. There are a lot of good brands and a lot of similarities between the brands. All things being equal- a non-cat stove may serve you best. Also- be sure that you are comfortable with the dealer you purchase from. This may be more important than the stove brand..

Link: Stove Rating Database at HearthNet

Status
Not open for further replies.