Contemporary Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LJT

Nov 30, 2021
Washington
I am looking for a modern or contemporary fireplace for a new home we are building. As a little background, I have owned a Fireplace Xtrordinair 44 elite for nearly 20 years and absolutely love it, I love the look of the flame, the powered fan, and the craftsmanship. I am in the process of designing a new house and was planning on getting another one, but the look of the FPX just doesn't fit with the more contemporary style of the new house. The radius top would be such a distraction to what would otherwise be a focal point of the house. Does anyone know of a fireplace that is much wider and has a contemporary (rectangle and simplistic) look? I like the look of the Renaissance Fireplace Rumford RL50, and the Valcourt FP16 St-Laurent, but have no experience with either. The home will be 2,500-3000 sf single level, located in Eastern Washington, and used on most weekends and holidays. If anyone has a recommendation for a large linear quality fireplace, I would appreciate it.

Now for the kicker...I will also need an outdoor fireplace that would need to look similar as the two will be about 10' apart, and visible at the same time (imagine a 25' wide floor to roof stone surround with a window between the two fireplaces). So if the same fireplace could be used in an indoor as well as an outdoor covered setting, that would be great.

Thanks for any help.

I wouldn't try to have an exact match. Outdoor fireplaces have a different design. For the interior, the Fireplace Xtrordinair Apex 42 has a rectangular window. The RSF Focus 320 and Focus SBR have a clean look. The Valcourt FP16 has a huge wide view, but it is mostly for show and an inefficient heater. Their Mundo II would be a better choice for heating.

For the exterior, here are some choices: