Control Wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
I was going to wait until this was done, but it never will be ;-)

For those who are into this stuff, I added a page on my website with the schematic for my control system wiring.

Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome. This has been a real learning experience for me, and I expect it will change a few more times as I learn more.

Attachments

• wiring.gif
    wiring.gif
    56.8 KB · Views: 482
One thing that I found a bit confusing is that you have the same channel numbers both in the digital input sections, and in the control section. I was having a hard time figuring out why a given channel seemed to be doing two different things. I am assuming that, for instance, digital input "Ch.1" is not the same connection as control circuit "Ch.1"? If so, it might be less confusing if you were to seperate them some how - perhaps saying "I1" and "C1" or something like that?

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
One thing that I found a bit confusing is that you have the same channel numbers both in the digital input sections, and in the control section. I was having a hard time figuring out why a given channel seemed to be doing two different things. I am assuming that, for instance, digital input "Ch.1" is not the same connection as control circuit "Ch.1"? If so, it might be less confusing if you were to seperate them some how - perhaps saying "I1" and "C1" or something like that?

Gooserider

Yes, I can see how that would be confusing. I have three groups of signals - digital inputs, digital outputs, and analog inputs (temperatures). When I started this documentation, it was for my own use. I know which is which, but tha doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone.

To make matters worse, I started numbering with 0 rather than 1, since that's how us software weenies view the world. I'm in the process of revising it to a more normal numbering scheme starting with 1.

I'll post revised and more clear versions as they come available. As I mentioned, I was going to wait until it was done before posting. In the meantime, I'll be glad to answer questions.

To your specific observation, inputs and outputs might share the same numbers, but there is no relationship. Outputs drive relays or LEDs, while inputs are switch closures, including relay contacts. The analog inputs are not shown on this schematic, but they are simple temperature measurements from the boiler inlet and outlet, storage tank, and so on.

Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to feel shunned ;-)

I would have contributed, nofo, if I had a clue what you're talking about.

nofossil said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

Yes, I can see how that would be confusing. I have three groups of signals - digital inputs, digital outputs, and analog inputs (temperatures). When I started this documentation, it was for my own use. I know which is which, but tha doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone.

To make matters worse, I started numbering with 0 rather than 1, since that's how us software weenies view the world. I'm in the process of revising it to a more normal numbering scheme starting with 1.

I'll post revised and more clear versions as they come available. As I mentioned, I was going to wait until it was done before posting. In the meantime, I'll be glad to answer questions.

To your specific observation, inputs and outputs might share the same numbers, but there is no relationship. Outputs drive relays or LEDs, while inputs are switch closures, including relay contacts. The analog inputs are not shown on this schematic, but they are simple temperature measurements from the boiler inlet and outlet, storage tank, and so on.

Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to feel shunned ;-)

The numbering from 0 didn't bother me a bit - I'm a hardware person more than software, but starting from zero is no problem - I'm an FSF member, so I even start counting my freedoms from zero :coolsmirk: As I said, the thing I found was just that you had different functions with the same channel number - it wasn't until I'd gone to the web page, and read all the way through it that it started making sense. It might also help to put a box around the input section and label them as inputs as opposed to the output section...

Overall I would say that it's a "style" question rather than a "substance" one - the drawing works, it just isn't quick to show what parts are doing what.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.