Convection blower motor cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigbrat

Nov 1, 2016
Canada
I own a model 25-IP/55-SHPIP/55-TRPIP Pellet stove and I need to clean the convection blower motor as it runs fine but shuts off every so often for 15 minutes and starts back up again.
I've read that the motor will do this if the motor gets to hot from being dirty with dust and cat hair.
Is there a thread saying the best way to remove and clean the motor?
Thanks for any help

Convection Blower 1. Before beginning any component replacement, be certain the unit is unplugged and thoroughly cooled down. 2. Remove the rear panel (using a 5 /16” wrench) and locate the convection blower. 3. Detach the convection blower from the wiring harness before going any further. 4. Loosen and remove the two screws which hold the blower to the stove; remove the blower from the stove. 5. Installation of the new blower is performed in reverse of removal; remember to reconnect the new blower to the wiring harness. (When installing the new blower, place the flange of the blower on the bottom bracket of the blower housing.)
Page 35 of this manual
Use a soft brush and compressed air to remove dust, dirt and pet hair
If there are lub holes oil the motor

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Hi did a google search for the manual this is listed in yearly maintenance.

Convection Blower Cleaning
As always, be certain the stove is cool and
unplugged
before servicing any components within the unit.
Since the convection blower does not handle any by
-
products of combustion, it does not require serious
cleaning like the exhaust blower. However, dust from the home and other debris in the air can accumul
ate on
the blades of the convection blower. The convection blower is located on the side of the stove opposite the
combustion blower, and
an access panel on the stove

So to clean the convection motor itself I can just blow the cat hairs and dust bunnies with a can of compressed air?

I’d double check your manual vs one found online. If approved I’d clean with soft brush and/or compressed air/vacuum .Then check to see that it is rotating easily. Lube with dry graphite if it were me.

Reactions: Bigbrat
There's no way to get a brush inside the motor casing.
True but the cage needs a soft brush to clean that's
why you should remove the unit to clean
Compressed air to clean the windings/ casing vents and interior of motor