Convection Blower Snap Switch on Winslow PS40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahough

Dec 2, 2009
Northern VA
Is this switch a normally opened (NO) or normally closed (NC) switch? Mine has apparently failed in the closed position and does not function when heated to over 120 degrees. If this is the case, I still have to figure out why the convection blower does not work. The unit is only a couple years old and the blower is very clean but then looks can be deceiving.

I don't know the stove, But I would say NO and they close with heat applied.

Are you sure you are checking the right snap disk? The high limit is NC. Make a pigtail from an old appliance cord and wire the fan to it. Plug it in. The fan should go if OK. Make sure you always unplug the stove before messing with any wires. Best to be safe than sorry!

jay

Yes, it is located on the duct just above the convection blower. It has a red 'reset' button in the middle and has obviously gone bad. I noticed last year that it gradually took longer and longer for the convection blower to come on. Guess I'd better check the fan next. I've asked the dealer if he has a replacement part for me but have yet to hear back from him. Any idea on what I should pay for one or where I can obtain one? Thanks!

The fan controls usually are auto reset. The red button is a manual reset. I think that is the High limit switch for the stove overheat protection. There should be another disk that doesn't have the reset button for the fan control.

normal a limit switch with a reset button is for the over heat sensor
a room air blower NORMALLY has a N/O switch so when your stove heats up to say 120 deg the switch closes the blower comes on then when the stove cools to lets say 90 the switch opens the blower will shot off.
more here
Understanding your pellet stoves Electrical and safety limit switches.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13408/

this link above is also linked in the help link in my sig line

Some enviro stoves have a second Limit switch for the room air blower
they have a 160 deg switch for if someone is running the stove on low blower and the stove reaches over 160 the blower will be switched to high to heep the stove from over heating.

Thank you! I was looking at the wrong switch. No wonder it never opened up. I bypassed the convection snap switch and the fan came on. The dealer has one in stock that I'm going to pick up.

Part numbers on the switch are 610049/T-O-D 60T12/F140-20F/C0416

Thanks again for your help!

the convection temp switch on the PS40 is against the firewall. You could have a clogged air channel preventing the combustion air from reaching the sensor and telling it to come on, or the surface of the switch is dirty. I have seen them go bad, but usually they just get dirty. If you had yours having delayed response last year and now its not working I'd really suggest cleaning it. It should be open normally and close at 120 °F . good luck.

My air channels were clogged. I cleaned them as best I could but it's been almost 20 minutes of running and the fan still has not kicked in. I suspect I still have a clogged channel. What do you use to clean the air channels? What is an average time for the convection fan to kick in?

Status
Not open for further replies.