Convection blower won’t stay running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carriec1132

Mar 8, 2018
Ct
i have an Avalon Astoria freestanding stove. The problem started Tuesday night where the stove starts up fine but the room air blower (convection blower?) doesn’t stay running. It turns on for 5 secs and turns off. I let it go another minute before I physically turn the power switch off. The girl at the pellet stove dealer told me the convection blower doesn’t turn on for at least 20 mins after initial start. So she’s telling me it’s still the combustion blower at the point where mine won’t stay lit. I have replaced the combustion blower and 120* snap disc and still the hot room air blower won’t stay on longer than 5secs. I would like to try cleaning the convection blower first but have no idea how to get in there. I can’t find any videos for my stove model. Any help is appreciated on what to do.

Carrie

I would give the stove a good cleaning including your exhaust vent pipe. It may be that the stove is not showing enough heat to trip the low limit/pof switch. Your convection/room fan should not come on till the stove reaches pof temp/120-140 (varies with stoves) that could take a few minutes. then it will go out of start up and into run mode.

ohm out the wires going from board to switch to blower make sure you don't have a lose connection.
You can hot wire the blower also make sure it's not bad

ohm out the wires going from board to switch to blower make sure you don't have a lose connection.
You can hot wire the blower also make sure it's not bad
I was going to try hot wiring it this weekend and see if it’s the motor. I was hoping someone on here knew how to remove the convection blower. I’ve watched videos of other stoves and most have a lever to remove the blower. But I can’t seem to find a lever on mine. All I see are 4 nuts and one of them is pretty much inaccessible.

I was going to try hot wiring it this weekend and see if it’s the motor. I was hoping someone on here knew how to remove the convection blower. I’ve watched videos of other stoves and most have a lever to remove the blower. But I can’t seem to find a lever on mine. All I see are 4 nuts and one of them is pretty much inaccessible.

Depending on what year
The first 2 years the Astoria had just one Bolt through the output flang into the convection chamber
The newer ones are mounted on a brackets. You only have to remove the two outside 1/4 head screws then pull blower out. It's tight to get out of opening so I like to unplug wires off board and lift off side panel

Here is the original trouble shooting link to my Google drive.

Before the blower update.
And a photo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180309-172602.png
    Screenshot_20180309-172602.png
    162.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20180309-172555.png
    Screenshot_20180309-172555.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
Depending on what year
The first 2 years the Astoria had just one Bolt through the output flang into the convection chamber
The newer ones are mounted on a brackets. You only have to remove the two outside 1/4 head screws then pull blower out. It's tight to get out of opening so I like to unplug wires off board and lift off side panel
Bracket and all in the newer
Screws are through two rubber gromonts in the base of the stove

Bracket and all in the newer
Screws are through two rubber gromonts in the base of the stove
The stove I bought brand new is 13 or 14 yrs old. The blower is mounted on the floor/base. And the the bolts have the rubber grommets. So I really only have to unscrew the 2 outter screws? I was worried how to get the the back one out since stove is kitty corner and side door doesn’t open all the way. Oh and thanks for the guide.

The stove I bought brand new is 13 or 14 yrs old. The blower is mounted on the floor/base. And the the bolts have the rubber grommets. So I really only have to unscrew the 2 outter screws? I was worried how to get the the back one out since stove is kitty corner and side door doesn’t open all the way. Oh and thanks for the guide.
Yes the two outer and pull blower and bracket toward you

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Yes the two outer and pull blower and bracket toward you

I remove blowers when I service so I have lots of practice

Here is the original trouble shooting link to my Google drive.

Before the blower update.
And a photo