Convert Fireplace Xtraorinair wood insert to gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fprintf

Mar 14, 2011
Central CT, USA
I have a 5 or 6 year old wood burning fireplace insert. It throws tremendous heat but I'm just getting sick of burning wood and my wife hates how dirty I make our living room. Plus we had a very bad chimney cleaning experience that she does not want to repeat. So for the last 3 years I've not burned a single log of wood and I miss it.

I'd rather convert the existing unit if I can since I think buying a new one and trying to sell this one is going to be very difficult and expensive. But I just don't know if it is possible. I have searched the forums and there have been a few threads but most are folks mixed up about what kinds of inserts they have or just about inserts in general.

Get the measurements of your fireplace opening & go to your local Hearth Shop.
See what they have to offer for Direct Vent Gas Fireplace Inserts .
They are very reliable & are excellent space heaters.
You will NOT duplicate the heat of your wood burning unit,
but you will be comfortable in the room where the new unit is located...

I have a 5 or 6 year old wood burning fireplace insert. It throws tremendous heat but I'm just getting sick of burning wood and my wife hates how dirty I make our living room. Plus we had a very bad chimney cleaning experience that she does not want to repeat. So for the last 3 years I've not burned a single log of wood and I miss it.

I'd rather convert the existing unit if I can since I think buying a new one and trying to sell this one is going to be very difficult and expensive. But I just don't know if it is possible. I have searched the forums and there have been a few threads but most are folks mixed up about what kinds of inserts they have or just about inserts in general.
You cannot convert a wood insert to a gas insert.