Convert from propane to wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NeedWarmth

Mar 5, 2018
Washington
Hello,

Just recently bought a house and would like to convert the current setup from propane to wood burning. Not sure if I can just remove the fake logs and cap the gas line or remove the gas insert completely and install a wood insert. From the looks of it it's looking like a complete swap out. The current insert is an Aladdin i30se according to the tag below the insert.

IMG_20180305_140658.jpg IMG_20180305_140912_465.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the Aladdin i30SE is a Direct Vent Gas-Fired FP Insert. It would need to be removed for a swapout of the gas insert for a wood insert and the gas line capped or removed. The wood insert would need an insulated liner and a block-off plate is recommended.

Last edited:
What he said.
I had a jotul gas stove, which is different but not really. Pulled the stove, capped the gas line, pulled the liner (gas stoves use an aluminum I believe, more like dryer vent) and put in a new ss liner and my stove.
Check out prices before you go to crazy, a new setup could set you back 3-5k.
Certainly not suggesting you don’t switch to wood, but my wife took some convincing lol.

And if the goal is to heat with wood, you'll need to get a stash of split wood drying now. Don't depend on buying "seasoned wood" later on. The odds are it won't be properly or fully seasoned.

It looks like the Aladdin i30SE is a Direct Vent Gas-Fired FP Insert. It would need to be removed for a swapout of the gas insert for a wood insert and the gas line capped or removed. The wood insert would need an insulated liner and a block-off plate is recommended.

So if I'm understanding correctly I would need to cap off the gas line, remove the current liner and install a wood burning liner like this: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating...-Parts/Chimney-Liner-Kit/N-5yc1vZc6hdZ1z0vkkd

and also install a block off plate like this: http://chimneylinerdepot.com/firepalce-insert-block-off-plate/

Check out prices before you go to crazy, a new setup could set you back 3-5k.
Certainly not suggesting you don’t switch to wood, but my wife took some convincing lol.

lol right now I'm trying to get the technical details and pricing figured out.

And if the goal is to heat with wood, you'll need to get a stash of split wood drying now. Don't depend on buying "seasoned wood" later on. The odds are it won't be properly or fully seasoned.

Initially I will have to purchase seasoned wood but going forward I shouldn't have to since I can get wood for free from work.

How difficult would a project like this be?

Not too difficult. Keep in mind when you remove everything that you can sell the insert and liner to off set the cost of the new stove. Which cap is for the gas stove? The one on the left or right? It could be that there is already a ss liner installed.
You have pretty good access to the chimney, but it would be a good idea to rent a lift. Slide it down, hook it up, cap it.

It will take some exploration to determine what is required and the level of difficulty. Unknown at this point is the chimney tile liner size, whether it's a straight shot or offset, etc.. If you are good at construction and measuring the difficulty is medium. Assuming there are no complications this is about a half-day's work for an experienced crew of 2.

There are many threads here detailing complete insert installations. Some are well documented. There are also a couple articles on block-off plates. Look at then linked threads at the end for examples - https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

Order your wood now. Assume it will be poorly seasoned. I suggest getting doug fir. If you stack it so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacks and top cover, it may be dry enough to burn by October.

Last edited:
Not too difficult. Keep in mind when you remove everything that you can sell the insert and liner to off set the cost of the new stove. Which cap is for the gas stove? The one on the left or right? It could be that there is already a ss liner installed.
You have pretty good access to the chimney, but it would be a good idea to rent a lift. Slide it down, hook it up, cap it.
I believe the cap on the right is for the propane insert and the one on the left is for the monarch add a furnace that is sitting in the basement unhooked and looks like it hasn't been used in awhile.
It will take some exploration to determine what is required and the level of difficulty. Unknown at this point is the chimney tile liner size, whether it's a straight shot or offset, etc.. If you are good at construction and measuring the difficulty is medium. Assuming there are no complications this is about a half-day's work for a crew of 2.

There are many threads here detailing complete insert installations. Some are well documented. There are also a couple articles on block-off plates. Look at then linked threads at the end for examples - https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

Order your wood now. Assume it will be poorly seasoned. I suggest getting doug fir. If you stack it so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacks and top cover, it may be dry enough to burn by October.

Yeah I can get Doug fir and occasionally hemlock from work, good tip on how to stack it and using the wind to my advantage.
I'm thinking, if weather permitting, I may get up on the roof this weekend and do some exploring to see what I can find out. Is there anything in general that I should be looking for to determine how to move forward? If I pull out the gas insert I should be able to see if there is a block off plate correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Measure up the ID of the flue tile. Look for obvious issues like the crown needing repair, etc. Check that the flue is clean and with a bright flashlight see if there are a lot of mortar blobs that have oozed in and set between the flue tiles. Remove the insert surround and take some pictures looking up to the damper area and post them here. Measure the fireplace firebox, front and back including depth, top and bottom.

I believe the cap on the right is for the propane insert and the one on the left is for the monarch add a furnace that is sitting in the basement unhooked and looks like it hasn't been used in awhile.

Yeah I can get Doug fir and occasionally hemlock from work, good tip on how to stack it and using the wind to my advantage.
I'm thinking, if weather permitting, I may get up on the roof this weekend and do some exploring to see what I can find out. Is there anything in general that I should be looking for to determine how to move forward? If I pull out the gas insert I should be able to see if there is a block off plate correct?
I can all but gaurantee there is no block off plate. What you need to find out is what size the clay liner is in the fireplace. Is it is 12x12 you should have a pretty easy tome fitting in an insulated liner. If it is 8x12 it may be much more difficult.

And yes the one on the right is for the gas

It doesn't look like you can see down the chimney from the roof.Will you be resting your ladder on the chimney or how will you be able to look down the chimney ?