Convert Heatilator Peninsula from fake logs to fireplace rocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristian

Oct 21, 2020
Florida
Hi all, we recently bought a house that as built in 2000 and had a Heatilator "Peninsula" three-sided fireplace already installed. all in all, the fake log setup looks pretty nasty, and so we were interested in converting it over to a pile of those big rounded fireplace rocks. Would there be any problem doing this?

One concerning thing I noticed is that when I removed the logs and grate from the burner pan, I can see where all the little holes had been drilled in the top of the pan to allow the gas to rise precisely around where the logs were arranged on the pan. Would there have to me more or differently located holes to use with rocks, or will it even matter? I have no experience with gas fireplaces, so any assistance is really appreciated!

If Ceramic Fiber logs were the ONLY items available in the firebox,
then it probably wasn't tested for decorative rocks...
That being said, I don't think larger rocks would be an issue,
as the gas can readily flow around them. If there IS an issue,
it will be sooting on the glass & the rocks & maybe a delayed ignition.
If you DO go this route, make sure the rocks you get a are designed,
manufactured, tested & APPROVED for the heat given off in that environment.
Untested or unapproved rocks may have the potential to explode under heat,
which could possibly shatter the surrounding glass panels.

The ceramic logs were sitting in an elevated grate, as in a real fireplace. I see countless websites selling rocks, glass beads, and all sorts of other things that can be used in gas fireplaces instead of fake logs, so I have to assume that they're intended to go into brand new fireplaces. Otherwise, I figure I'd already have heard from someone who has actually done this conversion and was able to recount their experience. I guess I'll just keep the fire extinguisher handy and see what happens! Lol!

Most of those rocks, glass beads and other things are designed to go into a vented logset burner. You have a direct vent fireplace that was tested and UL listed as a complete unit. I have seen worse things done in all my years as a service tech but I would advise against doing this.