Converted to the Dark Side

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
I received an early birthday present, a Fiskars splitting axe. Normally I use 6-8lb splitting mauls with hickory or my hand-me-down 12lb maul with steel handle.

I used it over the last few days and must say it is a good tool. I can see why so many people like it. It doesn't have the nostalgic feel my other splitters do, and makes a slightly different sound when the rounds split. I will definitely be using it, but now I have a decision to make each time I go to split.

Here is a cord or hard maple I split with it.

image.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
Dark side? Are you running a car tire on your bike?

Reactions: Roundgunner
I wondered what the darkside of wood heat was myself.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
The Fisky works OK for some stuff but keep your mauls, you'll need 'em when the going gets tough. ==c

Save your back. More importantly your forearms. Those mauls take a toll on you..... Later on in life. Don't ask me how I know.

Nice pile.. I remember the days of splitting by hand, I split close to 5 cords one season, I then bought a hydro splitter and never looked back,

Dark side? Are you running a car tire on your bike?
That's funny. I see that stuff at the dealership I work at. It amazes me that people think that is safe. We won't install them even if they just bring in the tire and wheel. It severely affects the way the bike can handle in a curve.

Yeah a lot of people who never try it say the same thing. I have 65K on this wing (not my first) and the last 20K have been on the dark side. I will never go back to tires that wear out in 5,000 miles and only have 1 square inch of rubber on the road again.

To each their own, lots of people think others are nuts for starting a fire in there living room.

Reactions: ErikR
Yeah a lot of people who never try it say the same thing. I have 65K on this wing (not my first) and the last 20K have been on the dark side. I will never go back to tires that wear out in 5,000 miles and only have 1 square inch of rubber on the road again.

To each their own, lots of people think others are nuts for starting a fire in there living room.
I sure would think so unless I had a metal box around it.

I work on wings everyday. 1100s, 1200s, 1500s and 1800s.Most folks around here get 12,000+ miles on a Dunlop rear tire on a 1800.
No need to try it. It's pure physics. I have ridden a couple of wings with car tires on them and they don't even feel safe pulling out of a parking lot. In a straight line a car tire would be the way to go. More contact patch for braking and acceleration. But as soon as you start to lean everything changes. Car tires are designed for cars and motorcycle tires are designed for motorcycles. That's why they have different profiles. I can tell it won't do me any good to preach to you about it so I'll leave it at this. What is more important to you? Your tire life or your life?

Yep do whatever you want. So will I.

Status
Not open for further replies.