Converting a 90 into two 45's ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
In converting a 90 elbow into two 45's one 45 has to be placed right at the stove collar then the other at the chimney. Is this still desirable more than the one 90? Currently the 90 starts 16" vertical from the stove collar than 18" horizontal to the chimney. I've seen where it's been said that it is undesirable to have an elbow right off the stove is should this apply to the 45 as well. Any thoughts welcomed. Kevin

In converting a 90 elbow into two 45's one 45 has to be placed right at the stove collar then the other at the chimney. Is this still desirable more than the one 90? Currently the 90 starts 16" vertical from the stove collar than 18" horizontal to the chimney. I've seen where it's been said that it is undesirable to have an elbow right off the stove is should this apply to the 45 as well. Any thoughts welcomed. Kevin

Two 45’s creates a more gradual change of direction, as you would imagine. Therefore less resistance, better draft and a smoke pipe that’s easier to sweep. But if u plan on sweeping it often u may want to just use a Tee off the back for easier clean out access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes when the thimble is low that is the best option.
Yurt stove.jpg

If using dvl don't forget to get an appliance adapter to mate the 45 with the stove collar

The 45 will fit right inside the stove collar on the VC as designed. Kevin
Your talking single wall pipe? Yes it will, but double wall (dvl) will not

If using dvl don't forget to get an appliance adapter to mate the 45 with the stove collar
Depends on the stove. Some don't need it. The Morso in the picture doesn't have one, nor does our PE stove. Both have DVL stovepipe.