Q&A Converting a wood burning stove into a gas fireplace ÷÷÷÷

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We are renovating an old home. There is a full chimney and a wood burning stove, the stove pipe goes directly into the chimney. The chimney is visible in the wall (it cocks out into the room). What I mean is, it's not flat against the wall as a normal fireplace with mantel would be. I would like to convert this wood burning stove into a gas fireplace. Would this be possible? And how would one go about doing it? Would it be expensive?

Answer:

Based on your description, it sounds to me like you have a masonry chimney that extends from ceiling to floor in this room, and the chimney sticks out from the wall. And, you want to convert your present wood stove into a gas stove.

1) You can use your existing chimney for gas.
2) You cannot convert a wood burning stove into a gas burning model. It's one or the other. The interior has been specifically designed to meet combustion & safety requirements (gas standards) so that it's safe, burns clean, and provides you with a wood-like flame. You'll need to buy a new gas stove, either set up for natural gas or propane.
3) Discuss with the dealer your need to vent out the existing chimney. He'll have a special kit to do so. They'll provide quotes for you. Prices will vary on the model you choose and the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.