Converting Gas fireplace to free standing Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
This is a very general question since we have not even moved yet, but it seems EVERY house we are looking at has a gas insert fireplace.

I realize this is hard to answer without seeing a specific setup, but how possible/impossible is a typical conversion to a free standing woodstove?

If it is a gas zero-clearance gas fireplace it will need a complete replacement including the flue system, essentially starting from scratch. Sometimes it makes more sense to keep the gas fireplace and put in a freestanding stove.

If it is a gas zero-clearance gas fireplace it will need a complete replacement including the flue system, essentially starting from scratch. Sometimes it makes more sense to keep the gas fireplace and put in a freestanding stove.
Thanks Begreen,

How does that setup look? Is it a free standing stove (on a suitable Hearth) in front of the old fireplace with a class A pipe running straight up?'
Are most gas fireplaces zero clearance and how can you tell?

Last edited:
Thanks Begreen,

How does that setup look? Is it a free standing stove (on a suitable Hearth) in front of the old fireplace with a class A pipe running straight up?'
Are most gas fireplaces zero clearance and how can you tell?
A gas fireplace may be vented outdoors either via a rear vent through the wall or via a gas chimney flue. Neither will work for a wood fire. Post some pictures inside and outside of what is there.

Yes, the stove is put on a hearth, but where it is located depends. The best location for many houses is in the center of the house, but fireplaces are often placed on an outside wall. Be open-minded and consider all options with a clean slate. There could be nothing salvageable from the gas fireplace unless this is a true masonry fireplace with gas logs installed. Note that there are thousands of pictures of wood stove installations on this site. How it is installed and how it looks to a large extent is up to the homeowner.

My concern is that we end up buying a house that has a gas fireplace which has absolutely nothing salvageable for installing a wood stove and end up in an impossible situation and can't install a free standing stove. i want to continue heating with wood in our next house and don't want to get blindsided after we move in and find out we can't heat with wood. I will be looking for a decent open floor plan and enough room for a free standing stove.

I agree, the best solution is to be open-minded with a clean slate. Worst case I suppose we remove a gas fireplace, board it over and have to install heat shields on walls to meet code.

My concern is that we end up buying a house that has a gas fireplace which has absolutely nothing salvageable for installing a wood stove and end up in an impossible situation and can't install a free standing stove. i want to continue heating with wood in our next house and don't want to get blindsided after we move in and find out we can't heat with wood. I will be looking for a decent open floor plan and enough room for a free standing stove.

I agree, the best solution is to be open-minded with a clean slate. Worst case I suppose we remove a gas fireplace, board it over and have to install heat shields on walls to meet code.
What begreen was saying was leave the gas fireplace there and functional. Then install a woodstove elsewhere.

What begreen was saying was leave the gas fireplace there and functional. Then install a woodstove elsewhere.
Ok now I get what Begreen was saying.

I was thinking in some cases the stove might fit and heat best in front of the gas fireplace.