Converting gas fireplace to woodburning with some uniqueness...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brandonw

Nov 12, 2022
Appleton Wi
Hello!

We currently have a gas fireplace, and I would like to convert it to a traditional wood-burning fireplace. We have an abundance of wood, and I prefer that over gas. I have watched several YouTube videos, and it appears like a wood stove insert with a new liner would be a great solution and one I think I can do myself.

97128A68-D634-4C9A-89D4-5CAD6A1558C8.png

The way this is set up is unique. The face of the fireplace is in a wall that behind we have access to -serving as our storage room.

B608A90C-FFBD-4065-B755-E2CD8156CFB5.png

Let me try my best to explain what is in this image.
A - Backend of the fireplace, huge amount of brick
B - 90 Degree elbow for exhaust
C - Connection point into the chimney
D - The actual chimney stack runs to the top of the house, located dead center in the middle of the house
E - Gas line

What is throwing me off is the distance of offset the fireplace has to the stack. This is very untraditional, and not seen anything else like it online. I am worried that a liner won't be able to make the necessary 90-degree bends (there are two).

I saw that you could buy 90-degree elbows online. I would plan to run the liner down to the first bend, place a 90-degree elbow, then run it a few feet to the actual fireplace, another elbow, and then down to the insert.

All new to me. Does that sound like a solid plan?

Also unsure what to do with the copper natural gas line; I will probably remove that to be safe. Might need to hire a professional to do that?

Thanks!

Hello!

We currently have a gas fireplace, and I would like to convert it to a traditional wood-burning fireplace. We have an abundance of wood, and I prefer that over gas. I have watched several YouTube videos, and it appears like a wood stove insert with a new liner would be a great solution and one I think I can do myself.

View attachment 302581

The way this is set up is unique. The face of the fireplace is in a wall that behind we have access to -serving as our storage room.

View attachment 302582

Let me try my best to explain what is in this image.
A - Backend of the fireplace, huge amount of brick
B - 90 Degree elbow for exhaust
C - Connection point into the chimney
D - The actual chimney stack runs to the top of the house, located dead center in the middle of the house
E - Gas line

What is throwing me off is the distance of offset the fireplace has to the stack. This is very untraditional, and not seen anything else like it online. I am worried that a liner won't be able to make the necessary 90-degree bends (there are two).

I saw that you could buy 90-degree elbows online. I would plan to run the liner down to the first bend, place a 90-degree elbow, then run it a few feet to the actual fireplace, another elbow, and then down to the insert.

All new to me. Does that sound like a solid plan?

Also unsure what to do with the copper natural gas line; I will probably remove that to be safe. Might need to hire a professional to do that?

Thanks!
Honestly that contraption should not be used even for gas. I see no way to properly install an insert or stove in that location

Honestly that contraption should not be used even for gas. I see no way to properly install an insert or stove in that location
Thanks for your help and feedback. It certainly is a contraption, probably 50+ years old.

Is there really zero options? Any recommendations on next actions?

Also curious for a second opinion.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help and feedback. It certainly is a contraption, probably 50+ years old.

Is there really zero options? Any recommendations on next actions?

Also curious for a second opinion.

Thanks!
If I was onsite I may be able to offer an option or 2 but from what I can see from the pics I don't see any

If I was onsite I may be able to offer an option or 2 but from what I can see from the pics I don't see any
Thank you for your help. I reached out to a local provider and they said the exact same thing. Such a bummer, I can’t believe this passed inspection when we bought the house.

Thanks!

Thank you for your help. I reached out to a local provider and they said the exact same thing. Such a bummer, I can’t believe this passed inspection when we bought the house.

Thanks!
Was it just a general home inspection?

Yes, the ones that are necessary before purchasing a home.
Yeah those typically don't cover chimneys fireplaces etc well at all. They really usually only catch pretty superficial problems