converting original wood burning fireplace from gas back to wood chimney looks spotless with burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Renolds

Oct 17, 2016
Washington state
(Pictures below)

-Hey guys

Had a few questions about converting an original wood burning fireplace back to wood burning from a gas insert conversion.

I have pulled the insert, gas line and electrical from the fireplace that was installed for the gas conversion as well as took the intake and exhaust lines out of the chimney.

When they did the gas and electrical install they drilled a couple holes through the original metal firebox walls. I was wondering if any one had any ideas on how to plug these back up, other than patch welding over the holes that were drilled? I was thinking of getting a few short lengths of threaded pipe just long enough to fit through the holes and then capping the ends and using washers and high temperatures sealant between the caps and the walls of the firebox. Thoughts?

Also, the fire place hasn't been used as a wood burning fireplace in at least 20 years and was very rarely used to burn wood before the conversion. Should I still have it inspected or will it be fine as is. I looked down the chimney from the roof with a bright light and the chimney looks spotless with no cracks or missing mortar as far as I could tell.

Thanks
-Rex

Holes drilled for gas and electrical that I need to block off.
IMG_8616.JPG IMG_8574.JPG

View of chimney from the roof
IMG_8610.JPG

Gas insert removed
IMG_8578.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be very hard to seal the outer skin holes. Maybe get some moldable plumber's epoxy and make a plug out of that for the outer shell hole? A plate could be welded for the inner surface hole or at least a coverplate held in place with screws in the 4 corners. No need to seal if this is going to be returned to an open fireplace. 99.99% of the air is going to come from the room.

my main concern with plugging the holes is sparks and embers making their way through them. I'm not sure where they would go if they made their way out of the "skin" through these holes

-Rex

These units are supposed to have a masonry surround but I appreciate wanting to stay on the cautious side.

my main concern with plugging the holes is sparks and embers making their way through them. I'm not sure where they would go if they made their way out of the "skin" through these holes

-Rex

I would agree safe money would block those off with a thick metal plate welded., Alternatively you could try to borrow a bore-scope from a local auto parts and see what is in the holes or where they go. If they lead just to brick you may be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.