Converting to gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihavegas

Nov 2, 2015
PA
I have a set of ventless gas logs I recently installed in an old wood burning fireplace. I just wanted to check in and see if there was anything I'm missing.... I just bought this house and the wood fireplace was out of commission due to a deteriorated liner. There is no lower damper and I'm told the chimney was capped. I used 1/2" sheet of durock and fire caulk to block off the top of the firebox but was thinking of adding a layer of sheet metal to it to deflect the heat a bit. I have a new set of 30" ventless gas logs plumbed up already.

I know ventless fireplaces have some cons but I think they are good for my purpose, the house is older (1928) so it definitely is not airtight. I grew up with a ventless fireplace so the slight smell doesn't bother me and the added humidity is a plus in the winter when it's dry.

I saw lots of threads on blocking plates for wood fireplaces but none for gas. Just looking for some input. Thanks!

What you've done should be fine. All non combustible material blocking the flue. I've read many comments here condemning vent free technology, but, I have zero issue with it. I'm very comfortable selling it, installing it and I have a vent free heater in my own home.

I would check your install instructions. Every Gas Log I've installed, EXTERIOR (Natural) vented or INTERIOR (room) vented, required a damper clip to allow for SOME venting of the combustion by-products - which include CO.
If you are not following your installation according to the manual, you may be in violation of health & fire codes, not to mention your homeowner's insurance policy.

Thanks for the responses. The manual does state not to seal the flue or damper but it also states that they are able to be installed in a ventless firebox enclosure. The manual also only says you need to have the damper open if you don't meet size requirements and need to run it as vented. My fireplace does not have a lower damper and my intention was to block it off mimicking a prefabbed firebox.

This is the log set I have:
http://www.efireplacestore.com/cui-...ALfwELfgAKd5OsaAhmo8P8HAQ&refnum=OCT-177-3843

Status
Not open for further replies.