Converting Vermont Castings Radiance 2240 from LP to NG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hello, we recently purchased a Vermont Castings Radiance 2240. We did not realize that we would need a special kit to change it from NG to LP. Now we see it is very hard to get those parts. Is there anyone who would like to trade their LP set up for our NG set up? Or we can buy the part from someone if there is anyone selling. We have been burning a wood stove for years, but would like to go to propane.

So, it looks like you have a different unit than the Radiance 2240 that I (and a couple others) have. Yours appears to have the same internals - the pilot & thermopile assembly & the injector are identical - but the layout is totally different and this really looks nothing like what I have. On my and 87yotaman's Radiance 2240, there is a metal tube that the injector pokes into, and on the side of the tube is a screw that you can undo and turn to open and close a slot which is what is used to control the amount of air that's being mixed in.

Yours doesn't appear to have an air shutter or that inlet tube at all - it looks like your injector is just pointed straight into what I assume is a pre-cast burner assembly or something.

I wonder if you could experiment with taking a piece of sheet metal and using it to try to block off some of that "hole" that the injector goes into, effectively reducing the amount of air that is going in. Imagine a throttle on a simple engine, right now your throttle is wide open so you are getting a lot of air with your gas, and if you can create some kind of a restrictor plate to limit the amount of air, that might give you better combustion (perhaps without modifying the injector at all, I'm not sure).

This is all just a guess though - on my unit, there is just a screw that you undo and a little tube-with-a-slot that you turn which opens or closes the slot and lets more air in or out (opening or closing the throttle, effectively).
Yes! I am trying to reduce soot levels by adjusting an air shutter, as well. Mine looks similar to this one - no screw or turning piece that adjusts air/fuel mixture. There is a sliding metal plate attached to the Bray's valve assembly that acts like a nut to keep the valve assembly fixed to the mounting bracket - doesn't seem to look like anything that would adjust air/fuel mixture. Confused.

I have a propane injector and pilot. Anyone want to trade?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 182
I have natural gas Bray orifice/injector #82-900, part number 160-1313 and the natural gas pilot orifice. I would be interested in trading for your Bray orifice #82-300 and pilot orifice for propane.

for your viewing pleasure:

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 168
  • thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 169
Here is where I am. I have purchased a NG stove with the same issue. I need to convert to LP. Help! I can ship and trade or repair with the appropriate parts. Vermont Castings Radiance. SIT NOVA, please see the pictures.

Attachments

• 20210309_122847.jpg
    20210309_122847.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 20210309_122857.jpg
    20210309_122857.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210309_122903.jpg
    20210309_122903.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 20210309_122913.jpg
    20210309_122913.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 149
Iota,

I can't thank you enough for your time, research, sharing your findings, and most importantly - laying out the necessary information for people that maybe converting the opposite way from you (from NG to LP). Even though the information didn't apply to you, your findings help the community tremendously!

I will be converting a Radiance 2240 from Natural Gas to Propane. Your post probably saved the project as I was about to abandon it due to the parts issues with these older Vermont Castings models. I'm going to be reaching out to Ignus in the UK - fingers crossed they can supply the LP bray injector....

Thanks again!

Indexing/Keywords: LP30 NG30 000-5063 000-5062 0005063 0005062

Were you ever successful in contacting the folks at Ignus? I seem to be having issues with their site. Thanks Aaron. Need to convert from NG to LP.

Hoping to revive this thread I have done all of the things in this thread to convert from NG to Propane. Have any of you replace to "Burner part #5063?
It appears VC made an NG & Propane version of this. Please advise as this is the last issue in my journey to revive this stove

i see. my model 2600 has a stainless plate burner base.