Cook in a zero clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Walt14

May 13, 2021
Toronto
I know this sounds strange but I’m thinking about installing a grill in a wood burning, zero clearance fireplace. I want to use the Majestic Biltmore 42. Is the chimney pipe rated for cooking? If not can I change the pipe to one that’s suitable? Finally, the grill has a control arm that connects to a wheel that raises and lowers the grill. I’ve attached a picture. I realize puncturing the wall of the firebox would void the certification. Still, is
06685734-A108-4618-A2D6-945E2DB7EB58.jpg
there any way to do this safely? I won’t go ahead with anything that’s not safe. Right now I’m just trying to get some information. Any advice?

3740A55E-BAAC-4BE5-8ECE-11AC4F717BE4.png

Wouldn't puncturing the firebox also void your homeowners insurance if it burnt your house down? Seems like a big risk to cook some food. Use the bbq.

What you are trying to build is called an Argentinian grill, Santa Maria grill or a Gaucho grill. These are grills are for Argentinian style grilling which means that they are designed for grilling meat! With that being said... impossible to fully clean grease and oil are NOT what I want all over my wood burner and flue OR my living room (along with the smells).

It's my opinion that this is a very bad idea.

Now since I love being an enabler... Why not build a proper version out of brick in your back yard? It would be a relatively simple project that would be awesome to use and a cool conversation piece! Expect to spend some coin on the hardware

Last edited:
Yes punching a hole in the firebox is bad. Don’t do it.

I don’t see why it would be necessary. Just build the appropriate frame for the grilling equipment that can be put in the fire box and taken out. Only other question I would ask is can you operate the fireplace with the doors open?
I don’t think the liner cares what animal or plant based items get put inside. Cooking will lead to more moisture in the fire box and assuming it’s not stainless (like the liner) could lead to more corrosion long term. But remember even good firewood is 20% water.
I cook pizza in my woodstove. Might try grilling next winter.
If I was building a new kitchen and wanted a wood fired cooking space I think I would build it outside. If I wanted it inside I’d be looking for something more like a pizza oven. But that’s gonna get pricey.

Evan

Reactions: Corey
They have some really good video's on building those grills in your back yard--I think even I could do it--maybe not sure but I think I could if I wanted to but I am too old..clancey...If you have any trouble finding those videos I will find a few for you..I think it is a bad idea of what you are trying to do so go outside and build your own--you could do it..Stay safe in your home...clancey

Reactions: Rob_Red
As mentioned above, a frame that could be adjusted for height and still easily removed may be best. A place that used to be near here and moved to western MA carries them.

Fireplace Cooking | SpitJack

You could do a lot with the correct size bbq grill grate, 4 bricks and a good pair of gloves. Add a reversible cast iron griddle and a Dutch oven and call it a full working kitchen.
I would like to be able to close the doors to “bake” with the rack in place.
Now add rotisserie that’s where it would gets fun.
Evan