Zero clearance chimney to wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chippy Chaser

Nov 18, 2018
North East Ohio
I am in the process of replacing my 4 yr old zero clearance with a free standing wood stove and I’m curious if I can reuse the existing chimney pipe without adding a single wall pipe off the stove.
Aesthetically the single wall black pipe looks better, but is it necessary?
Pictures is the current zero clearance showing the chimney.

IMG_2500.jpeg

I am in the process of replacing my 4 yr old zero clearance with a free standing wood stove and I’m curious if I can reuse the existing chimney pipe without adding a single wall pipe off the stove.
Aesthetically the single wall black pipe looks better, but is it necessary?
Pictures is the current zero clearance showing the chimney.

View attachment 321254
What chimney do you have

Not 100% sure. If it was installed properly the manual says Security chimney, or Duravent dtc 6”.
It’s galvanized, but no printing or manufacturing marks anywhere.

If the chimney pipe is class A 2100HT then it could work though stoves are not meant to support the chimney pipe weight. Once in a while a stove manual will caution against this. Then there is the issue of getting a good fit at the flue collar.

Why is the Ladera being pulled?

It appears that the my chimney is supported by the stove. I lifted it straight up a few inches…and yes it was “professionally installed” by a local fireplace shop. 🤦‍♂️
The Astria is being removed for a few reasons. It was a wood framed stone veneer fireplace & it was outdated, there was a small leak around the base of the chimney so I needed to do some drywall repair.
I figured it was a good time to do a full tear out for repairs, updates, and a larger wood stove on a hearth that will heat better than the small Astria.
The entire family room is being remodeled and I don’t want to spend another couple grand to replace a somewhat new chimney if I don’t have to.

It appears that the my chimney is supported by the stove.
Yes, but that is a fireplace designed to support the weight. It spreads the load across a flat fully supported base. Wood stoves on the other hand have all the weight on 4 legs or a pedestal base. I'm not saying it won't work, but supporting the weight of the chimney with a bracket is a good idea.

Can you post a picture of the chimney cap? That may help ID the chimney pipe.

This is the best pic I can find. Tomorrow when it’s daylight I can get on the roof and take better pics. Maybe I’ll find a manufacturer name somewhere?

IMG_2517.png

Looks like a Security cap.

Reactions: Chippy Chaser