Cooking on a Jotul F45 Greenville?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

valkyrie

Dec 2, 2019
Northeast PA
Greetings! To all the Jotul F45 Greenville operators in the group - does the cooktop allow you to lay a frying pan and cook up some food beyond just heating up a kettle or soup pot? Thanks for taking the time to reply!

The F45 has a convection lid I think. If so, it will not get as hot as the actual stovetop. That is great for slow cooking. It does have a center top cover. Does that lift out for direct access to the stovetop? If so, that would be hot enough to fry on or boil water depending on the stovetop temp.

The F-45 top when removed is direct access to the top of the baffle/firebox. The stove top temps will run between 400-700 degrees. That should be plenty of heat to cook with. My concern would be that it’s supplying too much heat. For example if you you had a stew directly on top of it likely the stew would boil.

The F-45 top when removed is direct access to the top of the baffle/firebox. The stove top temps will run between 400-700 degrees. That should be plenty of heat to cook with. My concern would be that it’s supplying too much heat. For example if you you had a stew directly on top of it likely the stew would boil.
Yes, for stews, etc. leave the top on. I have just started slow cooking on our stove's trivet top. A temp on the trivet top of around 250º is good. I cooked a turkey breast this way for Thanksgiving. It came out great!

Reactions: moresnow
@begreen and @jotulguy - thanks for your replies! Yes I have seen that the F50 has a top door and grille accessory for this very thing, but our space is better suited for a F45, so before we settle on it, which we are very much leaning toward, I'd like to know what our cooking capabilities can be on the F45 cookplate. We'd sure love the ability to lay off our range and get more utility out of the woodstove we install.

It will depend on what you want to cook. As long as the cook top is removable you will have a range of temps to work with. I boil water for coffee and tea all the time on the direct stovetop but I generally avoid cooking anything that will splatter on the stove. Note that you can also cook things like baked potatoes in the stove with a little practice.

We looked at a Jotul f45 v2 Greenville today and are still weighing the pros and cons of switching from our old cookstove. I am confused about comments about removing the top for a hotter surface for limited cooking. The top looks well secured and not something removable. Reaching inside it felt like I was touching the underside of that cast surface not an interior firebox. Am I missing something? Is the v2 different that way? It would be great to get a little more perspective on this and the ability to do some limited cooking.

I talked to another dealer about the Alderlea t5 with its swiveling trivets but was quoted a surprisingly higher price, out of our range .

Last edited:
The top would only be removed for servicing on this stove. In the 2019 posting I was in error about the top being convective, the sides are, but the top gets hot and would be fine for limited cooking. Todd has this stove and can fill you in more on the daily operation.

Neat stove and always nice to see the top in use for a stew or other recipe. But if you're using the top for 'frying' you're missing out on some really 'grate' grilling possibilities!

IMG_4589.JPG

Is this everyday cooking or just emergencies?

I have had some thoughts. Posted some here. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/efficient-cooking-suggestions.190178/

My thoughts now are theses. If you want to save money look at what you are cooking and how you are cooking it it and not where you are cooking. It’s fun to cook on a stove once in a while but I really don’t want my stove splattered In grease.

My suggestion get a grill you can burn wood and charcoal in. And a couple real Dutch ovens that weee made to put coals on top. If the stove is running you have coals nice cooked inside my stove. Mostly baked potatoes. If I want a big wood fired meal I light a fire in my cowboy grill. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/red...0sCiGLgJcfDribxnCKYaAhG6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pizza has been fun too. Long story short. Get a wonder Bag https://www.wonderbagworld.com/
or an insta pot and a real dutch oven.

We looked at a Jotul f45 v2 Greenville today and are still weighing the pros and cons of switching from our old cookstove. I am confused about comments about removing the top for a hotter surface for limited cooking. The top looks well secured and not something removable. Reaching inside it felt like I was touching the underside of that cast surface not an interior firebox. Am I missing something? Is the v2 different that way? It would be great to get a little more perspective on this and the ability to do some limited cooking.

I talked to another dealer about the Alderlea t5 with its swiveling trivets but was quoted a surprisingly higher price, out of our range .
As Bgreen mentioned I have the F45 V2 and do some limited cooking on it. Mostly soups, stews and warming leftovers but Have also used my cast iron Dutch oven a few times on a trivet. The top like you said is directly exposed above the baffle and can get quite hot but it’s a pretty large surface so moving a pan off to the side or corner gives a somewhat cooler temp.

As far as stove performance goes I’m very pleased with the stove. Very easy to operate, great control and even heat output for a non cat and the glass stays super clean.

Thanks for the replies! I‘m not thinking about every day cooking. My cooking interest has been more for power outages and simmering a stew or soup when practial.

But then I hadn’t thought about grilling, a mouth watering image. We once had a Franklin fireplace with a grill on a swivel. Using it was fun and tasty.

I have a couple of pots that I think could go on and in the stove, a 7 quart all cast iron “dutch oven“ , no inverted lid, and a deep chicken fryer, that takes the same lid as the 7q. Lodge might have a coal holding lid that would fit. That might give more options when the power is out, or on. Biscuits anyone?

My interest in the stove began with the close clearances that the convective sides provides. Our kitchen dinning area is long and somewhat narrow. The stove will sit parallel with a wall. The stove’s panel on the room side should temper the heat in that direction. The interest in the f45 grew with the info here especially from Todd’s experience.

Reactions: EbS-P and Todd