Cooking on wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Depends on how hot the stove is.. I did some thighs one time that roasted up awesome in like 20 minutes.. LOL.. I try to cook inside, unless it's breads, when it's cooling.. I have had a whole chicken take 2 hours inside a 14" deep dutch oven. Then reloaded the stove..
I would imagine if the stove top is between 350 to 400 degrees then it would take about the same time that it would in the oven. Thoughts.....

I would imagine if the stove top is between 350 to 400 degrees then it would take about the same time that it would in the oven. Thoughts.....

It will take longer at that temp if on the top of the stove, because the heat is mostly on the bottom of the oven, not the top too..

I do a ton of CDO cooking, and belong to a couple clubs, go to events etc..

Many thanks to those that posted pictures! As they say "a picture is worth 1,000 words"!

I have done pulled BBQ chicken in my old Dutch oven on my hearthstone homestead. Made some pea soup last week during the snow storm.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: ispinwool
Some very inspiring conversation here - making me hungry!

For foil packs (hobo packs?) to be cooked inside (or on top?), we use double foil layers with a page of wet newspaper in between. This makes it much harder to "carbonize" the food and cooking this way has been less stressful and more successful (i don 't enjoy burnt food). Yes, carefully folding the seams to seal the pack is key.

I like Le Creuset but Lodge will do the job! Can't bring myself to pay full dime on new LC. I look for a deal on used.

Last edited:
may I ask what does CDO stand for?....i'm drawing a blank....

Sorry.. Campfire Dutch Oven, those are the ones with the legs and rimmed lids for using on/over/in a campfire or coal pit, or with charcoal..

Some very inspiring conversation here - making me hungry!

For foil packs (hobo packs?) to be cooked inside (or on top?), we use double foil layers with a page of wet newspaper in between. This makes it much harder to "carbonize" the food and cooking this way has been less stressful and more successful (i don 't enjoy burnt food). Yes, carefully folding the seems to seal the pack is key.

I like Le Creuset but Lodge will do the job! Can't bring myself to pay full dime on new LC. I look for a deal on used.

They have factory outlet stores.. we bought a full set about 30 years ago, about 15 pieces I guess, like $350. frying pans, grill pans, dutch ovens, huge roaster, saucier, and several sauce pans. Love the stuff, also own a bunch of Lodge, started with it for camping.. got out of control.. LOL

I have a couple le creuset pans they are nice but I haven't used them since I inherited a whole pile of antique cast iron. My grandmother passed 2 years ago and I got her cast iron sets. It included griswold pans 0-8, Wagner Dutch oven, griswold squar breakfast skillet. The old stuff is nicer than the lodge because it is smooth bottomed. I threw out all my non stick cookware and haven't looked back. Someday my grand kids can cook on the same pans.

Tis the season to be cooking once again :) just used my new percolator to make some fresh Jasmine green tea. A bit stronger than expected so next time I'll remove it sooner. Also my ramen on the stove. Yummy.
20171113_195632.jpg
20171113_195625.jpg
20171113_195638.jpg
tapatalk_1479256589622.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Since no one is posting, here's baked potatoes ( olive oil drizzled and sea salt ), plain roasted eggplant ( not sealed on the ends ), and roasted baby Bella mushrooms in olive oil and Himalayan pink sea salt :)

Why use the electric stove / oven if I don't have to right?

Plus I'm cooking on sugar maple.... Should add a nice smoked flavor to the eggplant and mushrooms :)

I use the front fire brick as a nice ledge to cook on. Works out great. I bought a few small loaf pans and use those to bake / roast in. Food comes out amazing every time!

20171118_120058.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk