Cooking with Wood Stove Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. The biggest reason I'm excited for my Heatilator wood stove insert is that it will come in handy for power outages - can heat a good part of the home with just some wood.

I'm wondering, is it possible to cook with this as well, and if so, how? Mine looks like this: https://www.quadrafire.com.au/portfolio-item/eco-choice-wins18/

The insert doesn't really have a top to it (maybe behind the trim?). Wondering how you guys would cook with this, if you would at all.

Thanks!

The way my insert is, makes it all but impossible, but if yours is exactly like the one in the link it looks like you at least have a flush top so it may be possible.

Best recommendation is to just test it out one of these times you have a fire and see if it's possible. May as well try it while you still have power and can use the stove if it doesn't work.

It's a narrow 6-7"? shelf for practical cooking, but possible with a smaller pot.

I have cooked inside the fire box of my insert a couple of times. Potatoes wrapped in foil and fish fillet in a covered cast iron pan. It worked best when the fire was down to embers and the food was kept off them. It still cooked way faster than any oven.