Copper or cast iron kettle on a steel stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveb5004

Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
I recently installed a Buck Stove (model 74), which is made of steel. We're looking at several different kettles to set on top of it. Do any of you metal experts know if copper or steel would be better, or if we should avoid both? I know certain metals don't get along with each other and corrode, but I haven't found anything definitive online. I'll keep looking, but would certainly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Also, has anyone used a porcelain or ceramic plate between a kettle and stove? Did it keep the water from getting warm enough to evaporate?

I put a steel pot on my stove, it is one of those black, speckled pots that you can roast a turkey in, will hold about 2 gallons of water. I have had no problems with the metals interacting, but, you have an iron stove and a steel [iron] pot. Plus the pot is covered with the enamel so there is no metal to metal contact.
That is an interesting question, would a copper pot cause a problem on a steel stove? I bet it would cause corrosion but don't know.

I think the biggest concern with pots on stove tops is rust from water getting on the stove. Yes, the water evaporates almost instantly on a hot stove, but then it can leave mineral stains. When you put a pot on a cold stove be extra careful that you haven't gotten any water on the bottom of the pot before you place it on the stove. That is a formula for a guaranteed rust stain in most cases. The same holds true when you refill the pot while it's on the stove.

Reactions: Huntindog1
I think the biggest concern with pots on stove tops is rust from water getting on the stove. Yes, the water evaporates almost instantly on a hot stove, but then it can leave mineral stains. When you put a pot on a cold stove be extra careful that you haven't gotten any water on the bottom of the pot before you place it on the stove. That is a formula for a guaranteed rust stain in most cases. The same holds true when you refill the pot while it's on the stove.

Nick, I have had the same problem is I always seem to get a little water once in a while on the stove and it leaves the mineral deposits that I cant get off other than painting. So on my new stove the Drolet Myriad I havent used any thing on top of the stove. The paint on those Drolet Myriad seems to be an interesting coating like its real heavy duty and not a real smooth slick coating. Dont know how to describe it.

The main reason people put pots of water on their woodstoves is to increase the humidity level inside their homes during the dry winter months. I used to do this for years before we got our new stove and I didn't want to mess up the top right from the get go. So, instead I started running a humidifier we had, but hadn't been using. When I took humidity level readings I was surprised to see how little they moved when the humidifier was running. I'd put over a gallon of water into the air each day and wouldn't get even 5% increase in our humidity. The pots on the woodstove weren't going through as much water, so they must have been putting even less humidity into the air. To make a significant increase in humidity levels inside a home I think you probably need a dedicated humidifier built into the duct work of a forced air heating system.

When I am cranking my woodstove, I put at least 2 gallons of water per day into the house. My pot is a big steel pot, probably 20 inches long by 15 inches, it has a lot of surface contact with the stove top.

Status
Not open for further replies.