corn and pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepaulmc

Jan 2, 2012
Pocono Mountains, PA
I have a 25-PDVC and I know they say don't burn corn in it but I see a lot of people here using a mix.. Is there a special corn to use or can I use deer corn? Also what would be a good mix, 20 corn and 75 pellet good??

Better looked at what bagged corn is costing before going any further. Corn is almost double the price of pellets and a lot more hassle then pellets, unless you like critters in your garage.

Eric

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]Better looked at what bagged corn is costing before going any further. Corn is almost double the price of pellets and a lot more hassle then pellets, unless you like critters in your garage.

Eric

Some people don't have to pay retail price for corn.

just sayin.

You want shelled field corn dried down to the 12% moisture neighborhood. Cleaned is nice, no husk chunks or 'bee's wings' to make a mess or clog the stove. Quick moisture check is to bite a kernel, if it snaps it is good (rather then mushy crunch). Corn tends to burn more acidic and can be tough on exhaust venting if it is not rated for corn burning specifically. Start out and mix as you say above, mostly pellets, see how it burns, add more corn if it burns good. You may need to adjust accordingly as it does burn much different than pellets. You may also get what is called a clinker in you burn pot, this is a hard ash cake that forms from the sugars, you'll have to remove this from time to time. Therefore corn takes a bit more work but worth it if you can get it cheap.

60% pellet and 40% corn was the ticket for me. Stove ran like it was just eating pellets but got more heat too! Keep an eye on it, stir the pot often and clean it daily.

The other posters cover the safety points.

Status
Not open for further replies.