Corn burner questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodnomore

Oct 3, 2019
Central MN
I can get 1000 pounds of corn cheaper 50 miles away like $35 per thousand cheaper but the corn has a lot of fines like 100 pounds out of 1000 pounds. Local corn I can buy at a higher price only requires I screen pass thru vs 3 on the dirty corn. How clean do you corn burners screen?

I made a kan burn cleaner mover. Reason I like to clean my corn and pellets, is to keep dust to a minimum in the house. Most stoves will burn most any of it. Only issue with dirty corn is you can get a build-up of burnt residue in drop chute of some stoves, and it can block fuel, or start a hopper fire. kap

My first cleaner was a pc. of hardware cloth, draped over a wheel barrel, just to get the big pc's of cob and stalk out of it. Then my wife found a corn grader at a antique store, that I wrapped hardware cloth around, and could crank it feeding corn into a big funnel/hopper, and corn came out the other end. I had big flat tray under it to catch the fines and cracked corn. Dust blew away from a fan I had setting beside it. kap

Think about transport cost, if it cost you 25in fuel and extra time............count the cost. Either way figure a better way to get rid of the fines. If you design a better way of sifting the fines, you should only need to do it once. No matter the amount of fines.

When I bought corn from the co-op, it came magnetically screened and that was it and I ran it the way it was for many years and like Kap says it does make stuff in the firebox but I clean mine every 3 days anyway. I shut it down the evening before bed and clean it in the morning, but then I let the central furnace assume the heat load when it's off. It's supplementary heat anyway.

The last 2 years, I've been getting free screened and cleaned corn that is devoid of any junk so no cleaning needed. I do mix pellets with it at a ratio of 3-1 3 parts corn to one part pellets. The corn I get is very dry, averages 10%RM or less so it burns really hot.

Burn back is a non issue with my stove and no issue with any build up at the auger opening either. My 6039 is a single auger straight feed above the firepot. Fuel drops to the firepot so no carbon buildup and the feed is above the fire so no burnback chance either.

Like I said, when I got it from the co op I never cleaned any of it. Fines and earwings went right to the fire. It all burns anyway.

Dust in the house is a fact of life with any stove, pellet, corn or wood. The amount of it depends on your tolerance.

Reactions: sloeffle
If you are real serious about burning corn over the long haul, I suggest either buying a gravity wagon and getting your corn in that or buying a grain tank with a bucket spout and having your supplier auger it into the tank. I have a pair of 600 bushel GSI's and both have bucket spouts on the bottom. I auger the corn in (I happen to have my own PTO driven auger) and bucket out what I need. My supplier delivers my corn in his gravity wagon and I transfer it to my tank.

Think about transport cost, if it cost you 25in fuel and extra time............count the cost. Either way figure a better way to get rid of the fines. If you design a better way of sifting the fines, you should only need to do it once. No matter the amount of fines.

I bought a screen off eBay it does a fine job, with the "dirty" corn I could get by with 1 pass. Trying to keep the dust outside of the house.

If you are real serious about burning corn over the long haul, I suggest either buying a gravity wagon and getting your corn in that or buying a grain tank with a bucket spout and having your supplier auger it into the tank. I have a pair of 600 bushel GSI's and both have bucket spouts on the bottom. I auger the corn in (I happen to have my own PTO driven auger) and bucket out what I need. My supplier delivers my corn in his gravity wagon and I transfer it to my tank.

Nope not a long haul guy, one of the reasons I bought the corn stove is because we plan on moving next summer. Hard to sell a house that is heated with wood in this day and age.

Company vehicle I do not pay for fuel. When I go to pick up the corn I go visit my Grandson. it is a win win, except for the dusty corn.

If you think you can keep the dust out, that is false economy. There will always be dust from ashes when using a solid fuel appliance no matter what it burns.

The best bet to keep dust out of the house is to have a bin outside to feed corn into the stove. I know that keeps my wife happy. If you are moving soon, I wouldn't add more work when there is limited payout.

I use a shop vac every time I load fuel into hopper, clean stoves, ashpans, etc. And there is a dust bag in all my shop vacs. kap

Reactions: woodnomore
I use a shop vac every time I load fuel into hopper, clean stoves, ashpans, etc. And there is a dust bag in all my shop vacs. kap

I do too. I use a yellow drywall bag.

They are better quality then the white ones, but sometimes you can't get em. I have some that have been in vac for a few years. They do have a bit of duct tape on em tho. lol

They are better quality then the white ones, but sometimes you can't get em. I have some that have been in vac for a few years. They do have a bit of duct tape on em tho. lol

Not adverse to recycling shop vac bags, I try but usually I rip them. I keep a couple on had all the time. Usually get one burn season out of one bag (10 gallon shop vac size).

I try to remember to empty the bag before it gets too full

I use the yellow drywall bags too. I also cut the end open and dump in the garden then hot glue the seam back together. Only 1 blow out in 20 yrs. took a month to get outta that dog house.

Never thought about gluing them shut but then a 3 pack at Menards is 12 bucks. Made in China bags. I'm frugal but not that frugal... I may try that anyway.

My wife and I like Menards. Good prices, very helpful staff and we make a beeline to the local store when they do 11% off. Used to go to Lowes but Menards prices are better without the 11% off.

Reactions: sloeffle
Understandable, I don't like crowds either. Why the wife and I go during the week, usually on Wednesday afternoon, about 2 pm. We are retired so no work constraints. Menards is great in my opinion. Probably why Lowes instituted the all the time 10% back policy, Menards has put a hurt on Lowes, at least around here. Problem with the Lowes 10% back deal is the online paperwork you have to go through to get the 10%, whereas with Menards, you mail the bottom of the register recepit to Elk Mound and 3-4 weeks later a voucher (with no expiration date) comes in the mail. easy peasy.

I like Home Despot too but HD is a junky, cluttered store (at least around here they are. I don't do clutter and junk well.