Corn plant blossomed!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
This is just for grins. I got a corn plant in the early 80's and it's not dead yet. ;lol It bloomed once in the 90's and blew my mind. Really powerful aroma - too much, actually.

Out of the blue, it bloomed again, but this decade I have a digital camera. I guess it's not that rare, but it's been going on for a week. It really ramps up the aroma at night, and dials it down during the day. Whew!

It's trying so hard I feel like I ought to go get another corn plant and put them side-by-side...

So, corn plant acquired 1984(?), first bloom 1996(?), second bloom 2015.

DSCN0863.JPG DSCN0868.JPG DSCN0867.JPG

Reactions: Cynnergy
I like the desert plant thought. Well, according to Wikipedia, it's from tropical Africa. I think this particular species is Dracaena massangeana. I'm used to thinking about things having good years and bad years, but blooming every 15 years on average?? I can't wrap my head around that.

Honestly, it's SO potent that I hope it doesn't start doing it every year. Every 15 years will make a better story anyway. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.