Corn Stove projects- Transport instrumentation and ect Picture intensive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The older I get, the cheaper I get with some things......

Rona, I think you will see a huge flip in fuel prices with Biden in the oval office Energy prices are going to go up appreciably for NG and even more so for heating oil, gasoline and diesel as we go from a net exporter to a net importer and again (sadly) become a pawn in the world energy game. No, I didn't vote for him either. I'll leave it at that. So long as my corn stays where it is (basically free), I'm all good with that. I do use LP (Have 4 owned 500 bottles but 2 are ag bottles and no use tax on them at all and I usually have close to 1000 gallons of off road diesel on hand too.

SCF,

Is there any interesting consequence to how the stove fires up the very first time the next fall after a spring time coating with Stabil fogging oil? I'm picturing the potential of a good deal of smoke and perhaps a minor explosive event as the oil first vaporizes and then ignites. I've witnessed plain old pellet smoke igniting with a enthusiastic whoosh more than once over the years.

Thanks for the tip.

Hugh
None. By the time fall rolls around, any excess fogging oil has evaporated out and out the venting, and I only do the INTERIOR of the firebox and exhaust path. Nothing else. Nothing on the exterior of the unit or the HX area. Fire it up and be happy once again...... :)

Reactions: SciGuy
A double hit works good.... OUTSIDE. Not so much inside. When I do my 'suck job' bi season, I take my HF shop vac on the blow side and stick the blow nozzle in the round opening at the bottom of the 6039 and the leaf blower on the outside clean out tee and with a little coordination in my part, I crank up the leaf vacuum (I set up the clean out tee so the leaf vacuum sits on the deck by itself (Don't have to hold it), crank it up and go inside and turn on the HF vac and blow and suck at the same time (of course I clean the interior of the stove first). Works very well. In fact in the spring, when I do that and then pull the combustion blower out, the plenum is very clean.

Rick, you need to start spraying the interior of your stove with Stabil fogging oil after your spring shutdown. Goes a long way in preventing nitric acid vapor rust over the summer.... and run a couple bags of straight pellets in the early spring before closing it up for the summer. After about 20 years, I have very little acid pitting an I've never painted the interior of the fire box. In as much as you are a TSC Neighbor Club member (wife is too), get it there. In the oil aisle next to the fuel additives.
Thanks for the tip! I have a TSC just down the road. I have got some pretty good deals w/ the neighborhood club and using the TSC credit card. I bought a aluminum 6x10 utility trailer there in the fall and the rewards I got back from the trailer purchase got me a skid of pellets for about $25. They had a 25% off heating accessories coupon that worked on pellets awhile back also.

I call it 'Tough Shitte Charlies', where everything is either scratched, dented or broken and none of the sales people know anything about what they sell but we still go there. I know what I need so I don't bother asking because usually they don't have a clue. I see they sell ZEP now. Sure like the purple ZEP cleaner, much better than the Purple Power stuff that leans a white film on everything. Bought a 5 gallon jug of it the other day. On the wife's TSC card of course so she gets the Neighbor Club points. All I do is say tax exempt and it usually is.

Reactions: rickwai
Ssyko mentioned his frankinstove in another thread and that brought to mind my purchase over the summer. $35 for a old pellet insert with a blown control board. It was a good deal as all the blowers worked just no control board. As it is going in the garage and only will be on when I am there, figured might as well build my own board.

Dug around and picked up a couple of rheostats and ordered a timer, 3d printed a box for it to go into and there you go. Wiring was such that I was able to get all the safety switches in as well. Think the total price (stove, pipe and electronics) came to $125.

Here is the box, on the bottom I installed a trailer wiring adaptor just in case I need to move the box to another stove in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_153719382_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210202_153719382_HDR.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 124
Nice! I dont know electronics like that.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Neither do I and I don't know squat about 3D printing either, other than 3Dprinting is in plastic and plastic and biomass stoves don't marry well. heat and plastic = gooey plastic.

Ssyko mentioned his frankinstove in another thread and that brought to mind my purchase over the summer. $35 for a old pellet insert with a blown control board. It was a good deal as all the blowers worked just no control board. As it is going in the garage and only will be on when I am there, figured might as well build my own board.

Dug around and picked up a couple of rheostats and ordered a timer, 3d printed a box for it to go into and there you go. Wiring was such that I was able to get all the safety switches in as well. Think the total price (stove, pipe and electronics) came to $125.

Here is the box, on the bottom I installed a trailer wiring adaptor just in case I need to move the box to another stove in the future.

Nice!! Next project you do (and you will) let me know i have sourced all the molex plugs and pins for most stoves, card edge connections,thyristors, Triacs, opto’s. Wire. Make your box and plug right into the stove harness. I have started a quadrafire control box tester, but thats taking some time :confused: good to see someone else dabble in the electrons too

Reactions: rickwai