Corner Hearth Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim IA

Nov 9, 2006
Central Iowa
I purchased a Woodstock Fireview and will be doing a corner install. I'm wondering how high to make the hearth off of the ground and was wondering if I could some opinions from you. Right now I am leaning towards something between 6" and 12". I plan on using cultured stone for the walls and the cultured hearth stones for the stove to sit on. Anyone like to voice their opinions? (This last statement could be dangerous)

Both of my stoves sit atop 12" high masonry hearths, because I don't much like bending over and I really like the way they look. Rick

Attachments

• shopstove.jpg
    shopstove.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 536
  • stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 368
I just checked the installation/clearances and there is not a top of unit to ceiling clearance listed for the fireview... I would consider ease of loading, handle height and the wife factor - ie view thru the glass. Ankles, kids and pets are the other considerations with raised hearths.

This bluestone (natural) hearth is ~ 8". Cultured stone is not the most robust material, it will chip and scratch.

Attachments

• T6.jpg
    T6.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 3,264
We have a really raised hearth, the top is about 27" above the floor. We really like it for ease of loading, poking at the fire, viewing, etc. We store a couple days worth of wood underneath it and that works well, too. For some photos and more info see this thread. There was a number for top of stove to ceiling (we found it under alcove installation in our manual) and we have a few inches to spare there.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6351/

Status
Not open for further replies.