Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not mine by a long shot but then I worked and paid all my quarters at a high paying (and taxed) job. I'll still take an extra grand a month from the Fed. I can use it for Toilet paper and wet wpies....
Lots of holes in my SS record. Some employers paid nothing in but still deducted it from my pay. Didnt find out until yrs later. Im filling those in now and it goes up every year.

Lots of holes in my SS record. Some employers paid nothing in but still deducted it from my pay. Didnt find out until yrs later. Im filling those in now and it goes up every year.

I'm a small business owner myself with a couple employees and I'd never deduct for SS and not pay it to SSA. That is blatantly dis
Roughly Argentine and M-59

You are way north of me. I'm south on 23 near Cabelas in Dundee. Going to St. Joe's is a drive for us (40 miles) but worth every mile and then some. We have a few heath care centers (hospitals) closer, but none as good as, actually not even close to the care level that St. Joe's provides.

My niece had breast cancer, she's 28 and went to UofM for her treatment and surgery and I agree, no comparison in care quality or personal treatment. Interestingly, Uof M and St. Joe collaborate in cancer research, Top floor of the tower is all labs, well 9th floor is. 10th is the physical plant. Spent some time on the 8th floor and on the 2nd floor as well. They take good care of you there. One thing always impressed me, I was always told you can stay (in the hospital) as long as you want to stay, no one will tell you to leave. Of course I wanted to leave after a week, the food sucked...lol Great place, terrible food....:)

I'm a small business owner myself with a couple employees and I'd never deduct for SS and not pay it to SSA. That is blatantly dis

You are way north of me. I'm south on 23 near Cabelas in Dundee. Going to St. Joe's is a drive for us (40 miles) but worth every mile and then some. We have a few heath care centers (hospitals) closer, but none as good as, actually not even close to the care level that St. Joe's provides.

My niece had breast cancer, she's 28 and went to UofM for her treatment and surgery and I agree, no comparison in care quality or personal treatment. Interestingly, Uof M and St. Joe collaborate in cancer research, Top floor of the tower is all labs, well 9th floor is. 10th is the physical plant. Spent some time on the 8th floor and on the 2nd floor as well. They take good care of you there. One thing always impressed me, I was always told you can stay (in the hospital) as long as you want to stay, no one will tell you to leave. Of course I wanted to leave after a week, the food sucked...lol Great place, terrible food....:)
I had a pt we transferred to U of M every couple of months from out ER. It is a nice place and a nice 5 hour break there and back.

This article is a bit weak on specifics and 2000 people is a small sampling, but it is another data point in understanding this virus. Not great news for me, I'm A-Neg.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
Frontline reporting from Italy.

Reactions: vinny11950
This is for Erie County in the Buffalo area, they give some info on where those with confirmed cases of Covid -19 had been.

3 cases in care at Danville Geisinger about 20 minutes from me. A huge medical facility well equipped to handle a large volume of patients. Report tonight: Study finds that 6 out of 7 case in china went unreported.
Quote "Six out of seven, or 86 percent of all COVID-19 cases were not reported in China before the implementation of travel restrictions, according to a study published in the journal Science and funded by the National Institute of Health." Unquote.

Interesting ,if true would change the equation quite a bit.

3 cases in care at Danville Geisinger about 20 minutes from me. A huge medical facility well equipped to handle a large volume of patients. Report tonight: Study finds that 6 out of 7 case in china went unreported.
Quote "Six out of seven, or 86 percent of all COVID-19 cases were not reported in China before the implementation of travel restrictions, according to a study published in the journal Science and funded by the National Institute of Health." Unquote.

Interesting ,if true would change the equation quite a bit.
Not to downplay this but, I’ve been saying this from the beginning. And if 87% of cases were not reported this is going to drive the death rate way below the common flu. When all you hear about are the sickest patients and more than likely patients admitted to the hospital with comorbid factors. It makes This sound much worse than what it is.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Price Chopper, a northeast supermarket, now closes closes overnight and opens at 7 AM. Special shopping hour only for at-risk population of seniors 6 AM - 7 AM. I'm over 60. :)

Here's an interesting link that was on a car web site I frequent. We are a global community.

Here's an interesting link that was on a car web site I frequent. We are a global community.

Nice, concise yet detailed summary of Covid 19 status worldwide.
Heat maps are great for illustrating time and space trends but they don't show details well.
The graphs are rather scary. The curves certainly don't look to be flattening.
Thanks for sharing this.

This is circulating the wires now. Chinese scientists say they have found an effective treatment for Covid-19. If so, this will be huge. In a nutshell they have found that:
  • In two separate studies, patients given the drug tested negative for the virus after a median of four days, vs. 11 days for those without it.
  • The trials also found x-ray photos showed improved lung condition in 91% of patients given the drug, vs. 62% for those without.
  • No obvious side effects were noted. Researchers formally recommended using Avigan to tackle the virus.

Since they have the most cases and testing restrictions are most likely lax they have the greatest opportunity to test all sorts of cures. Sharing it with the world will go a long way towards healing some of the bad blood that sure to come out of this whole thing.

Since they have the most cases and testing restrictions are most likely lax they have the greatest opportunity to test all sorts of cures. Sharing it with the world will go a long way towards healing some of the bad blood that sure to come out of this whole thing.
It is a Japanese drug, but the Chinese are freely sharing research. Whether we accept it and the FDA fast tracks approval is another question. The bad blood with the Chinese has two sides, unfortunately. We have not done well diplomatically in recent years. The drug works well enough that the Chinese govt. has decided to use it as a frontline treatment. That's fast action.

This is the American anti-viral that is also is testing helpful in some cases, but there are side-effects.

Last edited:
Looking at the positives is very helpful.
Keep busy,safely. Im getting a lot of work done lately. Watching the news tends to be depressing. You can worry yourself sick. Also using extra time at home to spend with family ,something thats always in short supply. Good time to get out in nature with family away from people. Or go process some trees. I have 3 down that need cleaned up before the grass starts growing and i have to mow.

Not to downplay this but, I’ve been saying this from the beginning. And if 87% of cases were not reported this is going to drive the death rate way below the common flu. When all you hear about are the sickest patients and more than likely patients admitted to the hospital with comorbid factors. It makes This sound much worse than what it is.
I hope you’re right, but our economy is wrecked as a result of this, either way.

Maybe it was all a left-wing conspiracy. ;lol

I hope you’re right, but our economy is wrecked as a result of this, either way.

Lmao, I’m gonna need a tin foil hat to protect me from the tin foil hat crowd soon.

For a lot of you that think I’m not taking this serious I’d like to give some perspective. In the middle of all this crap and planning meetings, conference calls with state officials, etc I responded to an 18 month old that was shaken baby and will probably die. My world goes on and nothing will stop. Just more added to it.

I have spent a good portion of the last week preparing for this and planning contingencies. I will probably be very scarce but if you have any serious questions send a message And I’ll answer what I can from a EMS and a homeland security standpoint. I believe we are too vulnerable to terrorism to be posting things in the open about our responses. Rest assured, on the State and Local level we are working our butts off for you.

Im sure the economy will come roaring back. And i hope a lot of lessons are not quickly forgotten, like dont get your medicine and medical supplies from places that can cut you off at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:
Reactions: WinterinWI
Well the Canadian government has finally got things in the works. All 6 major banks will allow those whose jobs are affecting by the virus to defer mortgage and loan payments up to 6 months, the government will buy up $50 billion in mortgages from the banks to make this happen. Unemployment insurance will now cover those traditionally not covered such as self-employed people.

May be soon time to fill up those oil tanks. I have about 2000 gals of available storage thats almost empty. Gas in florida $1.90

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.