Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I had read that article. It's mostly about the findings of previous epidemics. SARS-COV1 was traced to civet cats as the carrier.
The article states that the focus should focus on high-risk viral groups in certain mammals prone to coronavirus infections, such as bats, rodents, badgers, civets, pangolins, and nonhuman primates. This is consistent with prior virus outbreak sources, but I don't think it links SARS-COV2 to civet cats yet.

Does anyone have a subscription to New Scientist? I would like to know what this more recent article is pointing to.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Animal to human viruses are uncommon but not unheard of as we can see from this pandemic. The reason this and others like it are so deadly is that our body has no natural immunity to it, and isn't sure how to handle it, so it puts the immune system into overdrive, and ends up attacking itself.

Animal to human viruses are uncommon but not unheard of as we can see from this pandemic. The reason this and others like it are so deadly is that our body has no natural immunity to it, and isn't sure how to handle it, so it puts the immune system into overdrive, and ends up attacking itself.
The worst cases are appearing to be from a condition called Cytokine Storm, an autoimmune reaction. There are current tests to use an immunosuppressive drug to stop it. There will be a lot learned for years after this is over about the immune response because we have never seen something like this.

They've been studying cytokine storms for a while now. Researchers think that cytokine storms were responsible for the high number of young people dying during the Spanish Flu. It's also believed to have happened as a result of SARS and Hanta virus and can happen as a side effect of some drugs. This is what has led to a class of drugs that are now hoped to address the issue.

They've been studying cytokine storms for a while now. Researchers think that cytokine storms were responsible for the high number of young people dying during the Spanish Flu. It's also believed to have happened as a result of SARS and Hanta virus and can happen as a side effect of some drugs. This is what has led to a class of drugs that are now hoped to address the issue.
The difference is the scale of this is unlike the SARS and MERs and we have a little more research ability than we did in 1913.

Yes, the scope of this has shone a spotlight on the need for an effective treatment. Heck, back in 1918 they didn't even have antibiotics which would have helped many. They were still blood-letting in some places.

I’m by no means saying that we are immune. I’m saying we have a lot less risk as our normal lives don’t have that much interaction anyways. If I wasn’t working EMS And was staying at home like a normal person would right now I actually wouldn’t care about this.

In our state of Michigan 2 counties, Wayne and Oakland are responsible for 82% of the deaths from COVID. I've watched it spread north to to northern lower Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. There is really very little up there other than vacation homes and hunting cabins, that is taking some liberties, but for the most part is true.

back in 1918 they didn't even have antibiotics which would have helped many. They were still blood-letting in some places.
There will be plenty of bloodletting before it's all said and done..

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Okay, I had read that article. It's mostly about the findings of previous epidemics. SARS-COV1 was traced to civet cats as the carrier.
The article states that the focus should focus on high-risk viral groups in certain mammals prone to coronavirus infections, such as bats, rodents, badgers, civets, pangolins, and nonhuman primates. This is consistent with prior virus outbreak sources, but I don't think it links SARS-COV2 to civet cats yet.

Does anyone have a subscription to New Scientist? I would like to know what this more recent article is pointing to.
Also don't have access to the article, but the following offered some areas for further investigation, and possibly what doubt the above story was eluding to:

From March 17 Nature Medicine

"Given the similarity of SARS-CoV-2 to bat SARS-CoV-like coronaviruses2, it is likely that bats serve as reservoir hosts for its progenitor."

"some pangolin coronaviruses exhibit strong similarity to SARS-CoV-2"

Additional mutation could have -
"occured during human-to-human transmission"

Last edited by a moderator:

I watch her every week. First segment on corona. On edit watch the last one too and what's coming next week.

Last edited:

I watch her every week. First segment on corona. On edit watch the last one too and what's coming next week.
Good interview with Colonel Cox. I'm glad the Army lab is also working toward a solution.

The random nature of this disease is troubling.

Reactions: SpaceBus
My daughter is an ICU RN in a small hospital. .....
"....... It's hard knowing that we can't provide as much care as we normally would, and since they are limiting entries and time, we have to make sure we are efficient and do everything we need to do in the room. However, a newly vented patient is very busy, I could easily spend 3 hours in that room."
I wonder if this is why 3 recovered NYC patients interviewed on TV claimed they were place in a coma as part of their treatment, ie to reduce workload on the hospital staff ???

I wonder if this is why 3 recovered NYC patients interviewed on TV claimed they were place in a coma as part of their treatment, ie to reduce workload on the hospital staff ???
The only way you can be intubated is to have your gag reflex taken away. Can be done with sedatives but, safer to use Roccuronium and a anesthetic like Amidate or Ketamine and both are disassociatives. After that you will be heavily sedated and probably be on a drip of a paralytic and sedative so you don’t fight the vent. I use Vecuronium and a combination of Versed and Fentanyl regularly. In order for the lungs and body to heal we need complete control of respiratory. A good side effect is Versed also has a amnesia property so you won’t remember anything.

Interesting post!

A 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reports. Six other tigers and lions at New York's Bronx Zoo are also sick. All of the animals are expected to make a full recovery are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee.

The USDA says there are no known cases of the virus in U.S. pets or livestock. “It’s important to assure pet owners and animal owners that at this time there isn’t any evidence that they can spread the virus,” said Dr. Jane Rooney, a veterinarian and a USDA official. Read

Folks forget during the H1N1 scare, wild fowl were infected with it and there was concerns that as they migrated they would spread it to domestic fowl.

The random nature of this disease is troubling.
An old friend of mine passed away from this a few days ago. He was 46 years old and healthy, as far as I knew.

An old friend of mine passed away from this a few days ago. He was 46 years old and healthy, as far as I knew.
Condolences Ashful... That's my age.

I hope more people start taking this a lot more seriously. I know my family will continue to hunker down; but it's only a matter of time before my wife, who still has to go in to the office because she's in the "essential" construction industry (flooring for Pete's sake!), brings it home or we get it out shopping for essentials? If 3 out of 4 are non-symptomatic, which one of the 4 of us gets seriously sick or dies? Scary thought...

Reactions: Ashful
The only way you can be intubated is to have your gag reflex taken away. Can be done with sedatives but, safer to use Roccuronium and a anesthetic like Amidate or Ketamine and both are disassociatives. After that you will be heavily sedated and probably be on a drip of a paralytic and sedative so you don’t fight the vent. I use Vecuronium and a combination of Versed and Fentanyl regularly. In order for the lungs and body to heal we need complete control of respiratory. A good side effect is Versed also has a amnesia property so you won’t remember anything.

My Dad always tells the nurses they are so pretty when he is on Versed, LOL. Good thing he can claim amnesia.

So much for banning travelers from China to the USA several weeks ago to prevent the spread of the disease. According to this article, at least 40,000 people have traveled from China to the US after travel restrictions were instituted due to Corona virus.

Last edited:
So much for banning travelers from China to the USA. According to this article, at least 40,000 people have traveled from China to the US after travel restrictions were instituted due to Corona virus.

Plenty of flights available, at least now.
1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm watching that one. Looks promising. Posted about it on the previous page.

Status
Not open for further replies.