Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not tell me how accurate are those numbers I can guarantee you there are many more They have died in similar ways and were tested but they weren’t at the hospital because they were sick from this disease.
I get what your saying, but the rapid spread along with one months of data even at 90% accuracy has me very concerned, especially for the long haul ride we're all on, but I do have to hand it to you for working the front lines as a paramedic, these days.. para-magic, all these data points are really just semantics in your case or any nurse, doctor, ems worker, first responder, ect... the point is, is that everyone should be isolating themselves as much as possible, keep accident rates low and pray they don't contract this and if they do, its a mild form so that they don't have to use resources like hospitals or emergency life saving equipment.

He's supplied far more facts than you never gov guys
???? Never gov guys?

He has given us his interpretation of what he has experienced in his area of the country. I am not at all saying he is lying or purposely trying to mislead anyone. Just that he is obviously looking at it from one specific view point and that determines how he sees things. I am pretty sure the hard truth is somewhere between his view and that fed to us by much of the media.

???? Never gov guys?

He has given us his interpretation of what he has experienced in his area of the country. I am not at all saying he is lying or purposely trying to mislead anyone. Just that he is obviously looking at it from one specific view point and that determines how he sees things. I am pretty sure the hard truth is somewhere between his view and that fed to us by much of the media.
So lets see. On the one hand we have a guy who cleans chimneys and the other a guy that tends to emergency service every day. Who to believe. And we have OUR gov trying their best, who warned about it back in Jan and we have the media who still haven't recovered from 2016. Gee, who to believe.

Reactions: Ludlow
So lets see. On the one hand we have a guy who cleans chimneys and the other a guy that tends to emergency service every day. Who to believe. And we have OUR gov trying their best, who warned about it back in Jan and we have the media who still haven't recovered from 2016. Gee, who to believe.
You shouldn't believe any of them you should look at the actual facts and form your own opinion.

And only a few govt officials warned about this early. The statements made from the top untill recently were very dismissive. And honestly much of the govt is still playing politics and childishly bickering between each other. Although they actually have accomplished a fair amount in a short time. Unfortunately they waited a long time to get started

If hindsight were 20/20, this wouldn't be a worldwide pandemic. We're learning more everyday, and hopefully applying what we've learned. Playing the blame game doesn't heal anyone, nor do personal attacks.

This is still pretty dire. My wife was watching something yesterday that really put a lot of blame on China for under/misrepreporting events.
Lots of blame going around in some places. They should be careful where the finger is pointing as we did the same and in some cases it's still happening.

???? Never gov guys?

Locally, I would tell you not to worry much at all. But, we are very rural and only have 3 confirmed cases in the county I work and 1 in the county I live. 90 min away and I’d tell you to be worried very much if you lived in Indianapolis. 97% of the deaths in our state are over 60 years old also. I’m 42 and I’m in decent shape, even though I smoke, so I’m not too worried.

My OPINION is that if you live and stay rural your gonna be inconvenienced more than what’s necessary to stop the spread where you live compared to in the urban areas. The majority of us that don’t live in the city prob still are living almost normal lives And will continue to do so.

Locally, I would tell you not to worry much at all. But, we are very rural and only have 3 confirmed cases in the county I work and 1 in the county I live. 90 min away and I’d tell you to be worried very much if you lived in Indianapolis. 97% of the deaths in our state are over 60 years old also. I’m 42 and I’m in decent shape, even though I smoke, so I’m not too worried.

My OPINION is that if you live and stay rural your gonna be inconvenienced more than what’s necessary to stop the spread where you live compared to in the urban areas. The majority of us that don’t live in the city prob still are living almost normal lives And will continue to do so.
The idea that rural areas are somehow immune to this disease is dangerous. Yes because population density is lower the risk is lower. But it can still spread fast.

The idea that rural areas are somehow immune to this disease is dangerous. Yes because population density is lower the risk is lower. But it can still spread fast.
I’m by no means saying that we are immune. I’m saying we have a lot less risk as our normal lives don’t have that much interaction anyways. If I wasn’t working EMS And was staying at home like a normal person would right now I actually wouldn’t care about this.

I’m by no means saying that we are immune. I’m saying we have a lot less risk as our normal lives don’t have that much interaction anyways. If I wasn’t working EMS And was staying at home like a normal person would right now I actually wouldn’t care about this.
Fair enough.

Ontario just shut down all construction sites
So now Ontario is just about completely shut down
Amazon prime no 2-day delivery they are saying 30 days
Sure hope my meat bird order arrives as promised next Tuesday
(not Amazon) (Chicken and turkey chicks)
Good luck, talked to supplier yesterday and they can't get any chicks. We've probably has 50 emails and phone calls for chicks.

I buy from a local guy and they will be packed Tuesday
night and delivered every early wed morning
And that's why I deal locally never failed me in the last 30 years
Just him his wife and son. hatch 25000 chicks a year

I buy from a local guy and they will be packed Tuesday
night and delivered every early wed morning
And that's why I deal locally never failed me in the last 30 years
Just him his wife and son. hatch 25000 chicks a year
I wish there were local hatcheries, but this is one of the downsides to living so remote. I just hope even 20 of the 25 survive to make it to the coop.

Today I had to go shopping. The entire trip into town Tennyson's charge of the light brigade was running through my head. Into the valley of death...
I joke around about a lot of things, but this is going to hurt a lot of people. The worst is going to be for those not having a chance at decathexis . Too soon, too fast, to permanent. kennyp mentioned a 32 year old dying. In approximately 6 months the shock will wear off enough for his family to realize the finality of the situation. This will be the hardest part of grieving, but the pain will last for as long as they live. I hate to even think about this stuff.

I am most worried about my Mom. She turns 90 this month. She is not in great health. I am the only child she has left, out of 4.
I am in the US , she is in The Netherlands. My spouse and I have tickets to fly to celebrate her birthday. We were supposed to fly on the 21st. American Airlines canceled the flight. Normally, it would take us 7,5 hours to fly from Philly to Amsterdam. I checked last night, all direct flights are canceled. It would take us now 27+ hours to get there. Multiple stops. As a US citizen I cannot get into The Netherlands right now. If she would get sick and worse, I won't be there in time to make arrangements. I call her a few times each week to keep her spirits up. I am not worried at all about the health of my wife and myself, but my Mom's situation is keeping me awake.

• Sad
Reactions: Woody Stover
My father works in the textile industry, the company he works for mainly makes fabric and prints for clothing, they are now re-tooling and making mask fabric, shipping the material out to other companies that are re-tooling to make masks.
This is so encouraging to me, it shows that USA is starting to rework itself and make itself better through prevention.

Last edited:
My daughter is an ICU RN in a small hospital. Last week they were waiting and wondering. This week:
"Work has been fairly stressful. Multiple New procedures and policies everyday. Things change by the minute it seems. We've had a couple of vented patients so far. Applying and removing the PPE is nerve-racking, it needs to be done in a very particular order.
It's hard knowing that we can't provide as much care as we normally would, and since they are limiting entries and time, we have to make sure we are efficient and do everything we need to do in the room. However, a newly vented patient is very busy, I could easily spend 3 hours in that room."

ER staff can’t be paid enough for what they do. God bless them. Hopefully they’re able to weather this storm, and it doesn’t drive too many away from the business, in the short term.

Reactions: bfitz3 and SpaceBus
Medic21 or whoever Question educate me here. Back to the bats or other mammals that have lungs that breath why don’t they get sick droplets could enter into their lungs too?

This looks like a promising development. Hope it gets into trials soon. It's why investing in scientific research is so important.

Chinese virologist don't think the novel coronavirus was transmitted from the horseshoe bats but instead from civets, which are an intermediate carrier. This virus does not live in humans very well.

Chinese virologist don't think the novel coronavirus was transmitted from the horseshoe bats but instead from civets, which are an intermediate carrier. This virus does not live in humans very well.
Source? All of what I have read links it to bats.

Status
Not open for further replies.