Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_2020-03-31-22-30-48.png

Reactions: SpaceBus
It is becoming obvious that not only did we drop the ball, but nothing coming out as news can be trusted, the government releases are no more reliable than the news, and people still party without a thought as to whose life they are endangering. The only smart thing to do is hide.
This reminds me of the Aids message that you were not only sleeping with an individual, but also with all the prior individuals the person you were with had been with as far as infection was concerned. I have been spending most of my days isolated by a mile or two from others. A friend called me two days ago. Cabin fever was really getting to him, and I was tempted to invite him over, but then I remembered that I have no idea who he has interacted with in the last couple of weeks. Hide.

then I remembered that I have no idea who he has interacted with in the last couple of weeks. Hide.
Exactly!

Flights out of NewYork
Flights out of WuHan
Not much of a quarantine on that front.
Heading off to a summer home makes the news, but 1/2million flying out/wk --

Attachments

• states.jpg
    states.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 148
  • wu.jpg
    wu.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
What I dont understand is how we can have a dozen cruise ships off the Florida coast with infected passengers looking to disembark there. Who in there right mind has boarded a floating mortuary recently to begin with? Unbelievable. _g

What I dont understand is how we can have a dozen cruise ships off the Florida coast with infected passengers looking to disembark there. Who in there right mind has boarded a floating mortuary recently to begin with? Unbelievable. _g

Timing wise the big push to ramp up response to US government response to Corona Virus in all of the US wasn't until 2 to 3 weeks ago. Some folks were already headed out or on board. For many people booked, standard trip insurance did not cover this so they would loose what they paid for the trip. It also has been reported that some of the cruise lines deliberately understated the risks of cruising during a possible pandemic and some were offering incentives for guests to continue on with the trip. I also wonder if there is a red state blue state correlation as there are still many folks of red persuasion that feel this is all liberal overreaction ?

Cruising has never been of any interest to me or the people I hang out with. I would not mind if the entire cruise industry goes down but realize there is lot of related businesses that would go down with it. One good thing is most of the cruise lines are foreign firms so they dont get any of the bailout money.

Last edited:
Timing wise the big push to ramp up response to US government response to Corona Virus in all of the US wasn't until 2 to 3 weeks ago. Some folks were already head out or on board. For many people booked, standard trip insurance did not cover this so they would loose what they paid for the trip. It also has been reported that some of the cruise lines deliberately understated the risks of cruising during a possible pandemic and some were offering incentives for guests to continue on with the trip. I also wonder if there is a red state blue state correlation as there are still many folks of red persuasion that feel this is all liberal overreaction ?

Cruising has never been of any interest to me or the people I hang out with. I would not mind if the entire cruise industry goes down but realize there is lot of related businesses that would go down with it. One good thing is most of the cruise lines are foreign firms so they dont get any of the bailout money.

Guess I am a bit to conservative to have cared about travel fare and booking fee's or for that matter what somebody looking for my money tells me about my safety under there watch. Common sense does not pervade our society any longer apparently IMO.

I also have zero interest in being on a cruise ship. Nor am I very concerned about the financial failings of any particular cruise line. Talk about non-essential.....

Sorry for the rant! Carry on

Reactions: woodey and Ashful
I would not mind if the entire cruise industry goes down but realize there is lot of related businesses that would go down with it.
Very small portion compared to population.
Every year here I get and use a vehicle season entrance pass for the state parks here, for hiking, skiing, biking, campgrounds. It gets us in, and gets used many many times throughout the year. I look every so often in public parking lots around, and notice - generally, no other vehicles have one. Very small portion of the population also.

Last edited:
Very small portion compared to population.
Every year here I get and use a vehicle season entrance pass for the state parks here, for hiking, skiing, biking, campgrounds. It gets us in, and gets used many many times throughout the year. I look every so often in public parking lots around, and notice - generally, no other vehicles have one. Very small portion of the population also.
Our state parks are still open, I’m glad for that, and they have about a 200% increase in use from what I was told.

I agree, but I can also
Our state parks are still open, I’m glad for that, and they have about a 200% increase in use from what I was told.
I can’t confirm that it’s 200%, but yes... our local state park has been quite crowded, despite having all buildings, bathrooms, and other public facilities closed. The trails, lakes, and boat ramps are open, at least for the time-being. Unfortunately, I hear reports that people are still congregating around the boat ramps and in the parking lots around boats readying for sail. Also, without their usual level of enforcement in the “cars with boat trailers only” lot, too many pedestrians and bicyclists are ignoring the signs and using the marina parking lot, making it darn near impossible to park and rig a boat on a trailer in there, right now.

My mother told me last night that a family friend and neighbor from my childhood was in the ER, and had gone unresponsive. He has symptoms similar to COVID-19, but for some reason his doc had not tested him. He apparently caught whatever he has from his son, an old friend of mine, who returned sick from some travel in the few days immediately before anyone around here had heard of COVID-19. An hour after that, I learned that 3 out of 4 in a family up the road with which we have frequent contact (their son is in my son’s circle of friends) have it, but are actually nearing recovery. I expect we’ll be hearing a lot more of these stories in the next two weeks.

The news an hour ago said the White House is preparing for 100k - 200k deaths, which is one of the more optimistic forecasts I’ve seen, representing only 0.05% of the US population. If prior estimates of 3% mortality are anywhere near accurate, that means they expect only 5M Americans to contract this disease, a mere 1.6% of our population. That would be a much better outcome than has been forecast by others, and it’s still terrible, but I hope we are so lucky.

I was texting with one of my friends I'm a volunteer firefighter with last night, his main job is a boiler tech for a NYC hospital, he said for the first time in his life he was very depressed in the am while getting ready for work, he said that you can't even imagine what's going on behind the doors of the hospital, its real bad, he's remained isolated from the general population, but occasionally has to go on the ward floors to adjust heat / cooling and change out air filters, he does wear full ppe but he's very nervous / concerned obviously of his wellbeing and possibly bringing something home (his elderly mom lives with him)
He stated that every possible space in his hospital is crammed with a sick person, janitor closets have been cleaned out to fit beds, hallways a lined up with filled beds, people are constantly running around checking on patients, people are unfortunately dyeing, and there are many people in severe condition, both young and old.

I potentially avoided a similar situation at work last week. Our yacht club has been shut down for a couple of weeks, deep cleaned and locked. The same was done to my office. Members still allowed to come and go from their boats, but nothing else. I can't tell you how many groups of people still get together and hang out on their boats every day drinking and BS'ing. They just don't get the seriousness of the risk that they present to themselves and others -keep in mind the average age of the membership is over 70. A couple of guys from that irresponsible group sit on the executive and have access to my office. I discovered that they had been in my office for no particular reason so I asked my boss if I could change the locks. She approved and also got approval from the Commodore. Chit hit the fan - you'd think we had just taken toys from a five year old. These two guys ranted and raved about how you can't restrict their access, they even tried to get other members to back them up. These are the same guys a couple of weeks ago whined and complained when the Provincial government shut down bars and restaurants. They felt that because we were a private club that we didn't have to follow the rules. Fortunately I have 99.8% of the membership on my side. The point is, I'm still gobsmacked at the number of people that aren't take this seriously.
Sooo, those same two guys loaded up their boats today to go cruising for a couple of days, together, with their families. My gut tells me Darwin won't be kind to them.

All of the local marine parks are closed to access, and that includes mooring balls as well. Which doesn't make sense - nothing says social distancing like 300 ft of open water between you and the next guy.

Most of our local parks are open. We hike our local mountain park a couple of times a week and we might see one other person on the trail. I think I can see @begreen working from home in this pic. You can just see Mt Baker on the left.
P_20200309_110426.jpg

I was looking back at ya Steve during yesterday's walk. I also saw this banner hanging at the end of a local driveway.

pano-sky.jpg hope.jpg

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I hooked my ozone generator to a timing circuit. 20 minutes before I get home the generator comes on. I get home walk in the door linger in the mudroom take my coat off change my shoes and then go wash my hands.

All of the local marine parks are closed to access, and that includes mooring balls as well. Which doesn't make sense - nothing says social distancing like 300 ft of open water between you and the next guy.
Same here, our local lake said no mooring. Bizarre. How often can you spend a few hours so far from the rest of humanity without traveling to some far-off land, as when your bobbing on a mooring ball?

This has just got more personal for me. The nurse on my father's floor at his long term care facility has tested positive. He has been exposed. Currently he's in the hospital. Monday was when the nurse worked, Tuesday evening he entered the hospital. I will sit on pins and needles until the possible incubation period is over. He was tested Tuesday evening when he showed up , and that result was negative. If he contracted the virus Monday it may not be showing on a test yet. Incubation period varies, but 2-10 days is common. Wuhan IIRC was 5.3 days average incubation. The shortage of PPE is a direct result of this situation IMO.

My prayers go out to you and your Dad my the Lord do this good work

Reactions: mcdougy
Status
Not open for further replies.