Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree there is absolutely no way we could be completely prepared for a pandemic. Because clearly we would not know far enough in advance exactly what would be needed. But putting scientists and medical professionals in the leadership instead of the VP and Jared kushner might have been a good idea. Keeping the pandemic task force well funded and manned probably would have helped. Not down playing it for so long would have been a good idea.
Why does this seem so damn logical to me?

Reactions: bholler
LTC facilities have been a tragedy here, they have just now put in directives for them to follow. A complete neglect imo from govt. My belief is that it stems from the lack of ppe and the mix of private run govt funded system. The lack testing sure played into the mass spread. My dad's place is currently sitting at 3 dead, 7 more positive and 9 staff positive. I've convinced myself that my father will be a-symptomatic as he is what's known as the toughest people in the medical world..... a farmer. It allows me sleep at least. Refusing to test people without symptoms gave families no choice but to keep them in the "fire" Today they started testing all residents as per new protocol.....it's been a rough 5 weeks.

Locally there are some very strict protocols for our elder care facility. They are particularly vulnerable. The virus getting into retirement facilities has already happened nearby. It first showed up in WA state at a retirement home and in NJ, it has been devastating.
I’m really surprised right now that some of these facilities have not restricted staff from coming and going at this point. That is how it will get in them.

What happened to get us to the point where people need a government to tell them to stay safe?
You seem to be implying there was some point in history when the public would have done better, in this regard? Education and information accessibility generally does not improve as one moves backwards through history, nor does ignorance diminish. I'd be willing to bet that, given the same opportunity for mobility, any past popultion would do far worse than today's population, under similar circumstances.

I’m really surprised right now that some of these facilities have not restricted staff from coming and going at this point. That is how it will get in them.

I don't think you should be surprised, it's a pure example of how private and govt together don't work.
It allows finger pointing when things start going array. Hospitals that are completely govt funded here work much better.
Staff and patient have a much better experience.
The mixed system results in lower wages and minimum care. The argument then becomes we need more funding, raise prices, or cut costs.

LTC facilities have been a tragedy here, they have just now put in directives for them to follow. A complete neglect imo from govt. My belief is that it stems from the lack of ppe and the mix of private run govt funded system. The lack testing sure played into the mass spread. My dad's place is currently sitting at 3 dead, 7 more positive and 9 staff positive. I've convinced myself that my father will be a-symptomatic as he is what's known as the toughest people in the medical world..... a farmer. It allows me sleep at least. Refusing to test people without symptoms gave families no choice but to keep them in the "fire" Today they started testing all residents as per new protocol.....it's been a rough 5 weeks.

That is also where it is hitting hardest now in NS.

Changes to be coming, I am sure. Or at least sure hope so.

Reactions: SpaceBus
But putting scientists and medical professionals in the leadership instead of the VP and Jared kushner might have been a good idea.
Why does this seem so damn logical to me?
Brilliant scientists from a brilliant lab also came up with drinking bleach, isopropyl, and uv light. Those silly scientists.
Most people say that it was a little birdy that told them. With some, it's a little bat that told them.

Last edited:
Also, I have said it a million times by now.

What happened to get us to the point where people need a government to tell them to stay safe? is our population getting so weak minded that they cannot make decisions on their own. If things open up and you don’t agree. Stay home. Don’t go out and then go visit those that are at risk Like parents or grandparents. For Christ’sale if people are that stupid it scares me.

This does need to be respected if your in or a loved one is in one of those categories that is at risk.
The government needs to get involved because most people don't have the financial stability to jsut stay home. Obviously these corporations don't give a damn about your son or me, so why would anyone else?

The government needs to get involved because most people don't have the financial stability to jsut stay home. Obviously these corporations don't give a damn about your son or me, so why would anyone else?
I agree 100% with your first sentence, although I’d not be so quick to bite the hand that feeds me, I happen to think my employer cares a great deal about my well-being. After all, they make far more off of my effort than I make from them, and I would hope nearly everyone is able to put themselves in such a position of providing actual value to their company.

But yes, most folks can’t just take an impromptu 2-month unpaid vacation, and that’s where our stimulus bills come in. However, I am having trouble understanding the $2T bill of the largest stimulus bill, when even directly paying the entire salary of ~50M individuals with income affected by this virus would only tally $259B for a two-month period. For this, we set aside $600B, which may be a good number, given anticipated long-term effects. What I cannot understand is that, with this amount set aside for the individual, why are we paying corporations roughy $1,400 billion dollars on the pretense of keeping those individuals salaried?

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-anatomy-of-the-2-trillion-covid-19-stimulus-bill/

Reactions: SpaceBus
I agree 100% with your first sentence, although I’d not be so quick to bite the hand that feeds me, I happen to think my employer cares a great deal about my well-being. After all, they make far more off of my effort than I make from them, and I would hope nearly everyone is able to put themselves in such a position of providing actual value to their company.

But yes, most folks can’t just take an impromptu 2-month unpaid vacation, and that’s where our stimulus bills come in. However, I am having trouble understanding the $2T bill of the largest stimulus bill, when even directly paying the entire salary of ~50M individuals with income affected by this virus would only tally $259B for a two-month period. For this, we set aside $600B, which may be a good number, given anticipated long-term effects. What I cannot understand is that, with this amount set aside for the individual, why are we paying corporations roughy $1,400 billion dollars on the pretense of keeping those individuals salaried?

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/the-anatomy-of-the-2-trillion-covid-19-stimulus-bill/
Yes, the stimulus bill is loaded with fat for the corporate oligarchs. The 1.4T is supposed to be for folks like my wife, but that's not how it's working out. This will instead pay the CEOs and BODs since folks aren't out spending that money. I was told growing up this money would trickle down to folks at the bottom, but they can't fool me with that line of garbage anymore. Most corporations/large businesses don't care about the peons at the bottom. I think the US Army cared more for my wellbeing than the previous nursing agency corporation that my wife worked for. She's working for a small nurse owned agency now, well furloughed, but they aren't getting any funding and can't do anything to help my wife. Thankfully we are good at planning and I have a medical pension (well I'd rather be healthy and working full time) so we are going to be ok, but most won't be.

You are right, not all companies disregard their employees (walking profit), but many do.

Brilliant scientists from a brilliant lab also came up with drinking bleach, isopropyl, and uv light. Those silly scientists.
Most people say that it was a little birdy that told them. With some, it's a little bat that told them.
What is this referencing?

Reactions: PaulOinMA
What is this referencing?
It's political - sorry. How do we dissengage from the twisted nonsense, setups, then attacks on the press. And here I am perpetuating it. I wish we could get back to calm and deliberate, wouldn't that be refreshing.

It's political - sorry. How do we dissengage from the twisted nonsense, setups, then attacks on the press. And here I am perpetuating it. I wish we could get back to calm and deliberate, wouldn't that be refreshing.
Wow I hadn't seen that. Just wow

And here I am perpetuating it. I wish we could get back to calm and deliberate

But, no one wants a debate here. Have a different opinion and your jumped for acting like “god” or having a blatant disregard for others. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t give a chit and I have thicker skin than that but, that statement made me laugh this morning.

have a great day!!

But, no one wants a debate here. Have a different opinion and your jumped for acting like “god” or having a blatant disregard for others.
I don’t think that’s a fair statement, there is plenty of good debate, here. But a lot of your statements are made from an apparent stance that only you know best, despite ample evidence and solid citations to the contrary. That is the likely genesis of the former god comment, if you’ll pardon the pun.

... and yes, I recognize the irony of me pointing this out. We are all guilty of it sometimes, to varying degrees, but some do a better job of acknowledging and self-correcting when called out on it.

But, no one wants a debate here. Have a different opinion and your jumped for acting like “god” or having a blatant disregard for others. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t give a chit and I have thicker skin than that but, that statement made me laugh this morning.

have a great day!!
The reaction to your posts atleast from me has allot to do with the way it is delivered. When you present you opinion as fact and act like anyone who disagrees is an idiot it tends to bother people.

That being said I agree with some of your opinions. And absolutely respect the fact that you can look past the politics.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
The reaction to your posts atleast from me has allot to do with the way it is delivered. When you present you opinion as fact and act like anyone who disagrees is an idiot it tends to bother people.

That being said I agree with some of your opinions. And absolutely respect the fact that you can look past the politics.
I’m sick of only one side of this whole situation being acknowledged. There are way too many stupid, not most y’all I can tell there is a lot of educated members with common sense, people that blindly follow.

I will forever stand by the following though process.

I am sitting here absolutely stunned by the idea a corporation would care more about a worker than the bottom line. If a CBA showed x number of employees dying would boost profit, middle managers would be getting a new metric to be measured by. Going back to work is not about allowing Jimmy and Jane to make a mortgage payment, it is about the company making a profit.

Weird, your link failed, too. Found it on YouTube, tho... pretty funny.
5A65E55B-34CE-4212-B47D-81F1B7B0F047.jpeg

I am sitting here absolutely stunned by the idea a corporation would care more about a worker than the bottom line. If a CBA showed x number of employees dying would boost profit, middle managers would be getting a new metric to be measured by. Going back to work is not about allowing Jimmy and Jane to make a mortgage payment, it is about the company making a profit.
It's not even just corporations. Even small and family owned businesses can be run by jerks. My wife works for a nursing agency founded by nurses, but the management/owners are the worst and don't give a damn about her. Back in NC I worked for a small family owned business after getting out of the Army and they always treated me like crap for not being from the town/family. Greed has no size limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.