Corona Virus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and it's isn't quite as horribly irresponsible as many are making it out to be. But wow just the same. Did you?

Yes I did, and came to the same conclusion as you did. I think he's just trying to think outside the box, he should just let VP Pence have these briefings. I don't recall the last time we had a worldwide pandemic of this nature where there were so many experts working on it, and were no closer to a cure. I have a bad feeling this will be around for a while, and that our lives will not be the same for a long time. The last time we had something along these lines, it was HIV, and that is preventable using lifestyle changes, with the exception of mother/child transmission.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yes I did, and came to the same conclusion as you did. I think he's just trying to think outside the box, he should just let VP Pence have these briefings. I don't recall the last time we had a worldwide pandemic of this nature where there were so many experts working on it, and were no closer to a cure. I have a bad feeling this will be around for a while, and that our lives will not be the same for a long time. The last time we had something along these lines, it was HIV, and that is preventable using lifestyle changes, with the exception of mother/child transmission.
If that conversation had happened in a closed meeting fine. Sometimes off the wall ideas can lead to something. But behind a mic addressing the country is not the time or place.

If that conversation had happened in a closed meeting fine. Sometimes off the wall ideas can lead to something. But behind a mic addressing the country is not the time or place.

Which is why I suggested he let VP Pence handle the day to day.

With a name like Jan, we must both be Dutch, so hopefully we can come to some common ground. CDC, WHO, and countless Universities have virus experts and scientists on staff. But someone has to run point, and give a daily briefing. I voted for Trump and will probably do so again, but I agree he is not the best person to have out front. This is a job probably left to the Surgeon General, otherwise, why have him?

Let me be bold here. Any public figure, in this case POTUS, suggesting live on TV, that people inject themselves with household cleaners such as bleach, demonstrate they have an IQ of a soap bar, which equals zero. I realize I will be shot because of this, but that is what it looked like last Thursday.

Jan, if you watched the whole press conference that is not what he said. It's a little hard to watch, but watch the entire thing if you have the time.

With a name like Jan, we must both be Dutch, so hopefully we can come to some common ground. CDC, WHO, and countless Universities have virus experts and scientists on staff. But someone has to run point, and give a daily briefing. I voted for Trump and will probably do so again, but I agree he is not the best person to have out front. This is a job probably left to the Surgeon General, otherwise, why have him?
Jan is a very common name in the Check republic, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Poland, Germany and lots of other European countries.

Last edited:
Jan is a very common name in the Check republic, Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Poland, Germany and lots of other European cointries.

My mistake then, between your first and last name, you sounded Dutch to me. :)

Jan, if you watched the whole press conference that is not what he said. It's a little hard to watch, but watch the entire thing if you have the time.
I did, several times, and that is what he suggested, including the UV and bright light thing. I also saw the reaction of Dr. Brix when he mentioned it. This is not political, this about being ignorant and plain stupidity.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I did, several times, and that is what he suggested, including the UV and bright light thing. I also saw the reaction of Dr. Brix when he mentioned it. This is not political, this about being ignorant and plain stupidity.

If you watched the one with Dr. Brix, you watched the short version, YouTube has been highly censoring the longer version.

At 18min they discuss the immune system

I don't disagree with the points being made, but the notion that a "shelter in place" order suppresses the immune system seems a bit off. Nothing about that type of order prevents you from going out and getting dirty, or requires you to live in a bubble. Presumably, by the time you are an adult, building an immune system through decades of exposure to people, places and things will not suddenly vanish if you avoid normal levels of social contact for a few weeks. This assertion discredits their claims of "following the science" because it is a dubious and totally unnecessary claim.

Great, which Dr? The Surgeon General, CDC, WHO nobody has the answer, who would you chose?

In Canada, we have a Chief Public Health Officer taking the lead, the politicians are there in a support role, barely seen or heard. The provinces have Provincial Health Officers taking the lead, again with politicians in the background in support roles.
Your country is such a god damned mess you don't know who should do a medical briefing? WTF?
Just leave it up the the orange man to come up with solutions? Good luck with that. And when this is all over, I think you're going to be "Number 1" again. Yeah, not in a good way.

It's been depressing watching the train wreck south of 49 for the last three and a half years. They say you get the government you deserve - well, there you go. There have been a few people on here, seemingly smart, informed and thoughtful that I've respected and valued their opinion, then they say even with all the downsides of voting for the current "leader", they will again. I simply can't reconcile that dichotomy.
Thanks for all the stove info over the last two years. Thanks @begreen for being level-headed.
With that, I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SpaceBus and Sawset
I don't disagree with the points being made, but the notion that a "shelter in place" order suppresses the immune system seems a bit off. Nothing about that type of order prevents you from going out and getting dirty, or requires you to live in a bubble. Presumably, by the time you are an adult, building an immune system through decades of exposure to people, places and things will not suddenly vanish if you avoid normal levels of social contact for a few weeks. This assertion discredits their claims of "following the science" because it is a dubious and totally unnecessary claim.
I think they oversimplified what they were trying to say. I think it’s more of a situation where some of the immunity we gain is temporary. And it’s a repeat exposures over time to keep that immunity buildup. It’s the same thing That we dealt with disorders in a rack you deploy and get sick you come home you re-deploy a year later and get sick again. The immunity built up to certain viruses don’t last forever.

Reactions: Ashful
I think they oversimplified what they were trying to say. I think it’s more of a situation where some of the immunity we gain is temporary. And it’s a repeat exposures over time to keep that immunity buildup. It’s the same thing That we dealt with disorders in a rack you deploy and get sick you come home you re-deploy a year later and get sick again. The immunity built up to certain viruses don’t last forever.
Which makes me think of Tetanus, where repeated periodic vaccinations protect us from this bacterium.

I think they oversimplified what they were trying to say. I think it’s more of a situation where some of the immunity we gain is temporary. And it’s a repeat exposures over time to keep that immunity buildup.
Exactly. Not only this, but the things to which you have built immunity haven’t suddenly stopped developing new mutations, out of some bizarre virological respect for the mighty Corona virus. There are plenty of examples in human history of isolated populations not fairing well against disease, when recombined with the populations from which they have descended, after many years of isolation. However, on such a short time scale, I think either factor is not worth even considering, in the face of the alternative.

They say you get the government you deserve - well, there you go. There have been a few people on here, seemingly smart, informed and thoughtful that I've respected and valued their opinion, then they say even with all the downsides of voting for the current "leader", they will again. I simply can't reconcile that dichotomy.
Maybe you need to stay out of the American politics, Steve. All I can say is that every four years we are given the choice to select the lesser of two evils, and enough people in the right districts decided the other choice was even worse.

It's been depressing watching the train wreck south of 49 for the last three and a half years. They say you get the government you deserve - well, there you go. There have been a few people on here, seemingly smart, informed and thoughtful that I've respected and valued their opinion, then they say even with all the downsides of voting for the current "leader", they will again. I simply can't reconcile that dichotomy.
Thanks for all the stove info over the last two years. Thanks @begreen for being level-headed.
With that, I'm done.
I understand your sentiment but I have to say that I've seen views change as a result of the discussion that goes on here, sometimes drastically. While we shouldn't tell people what to think (though many successfully do :( ) we can provide them with evidence that maybe they haven't seen yet and hope that they're objective enough to alter their opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
Im starting to feel a little restless with isolation / lockdown. The weather is starting to improve here, its been about 6 weeks of isolation and I want to go to my local state park and do some social distancing fishing. In NJ our governor decided to also close all state parks, which caused a domino effect of many county and town parks closing too. Unfortunately that means many river access points in my area were closed off because the land is either owned by the state, county or town.
I get why the park systems were closed in the beginning of the virus, we didn't have the info or supplies we needed to be safe, masks and disinfectants were stripped, but now with our existing guidelines in place and a return of basic safety products, I think its time to ease up on some of our restrictions, like opening our parks under the premise that you need to have distancing from each other, I think we are smart enough, although our president made a joke about ingesting household cleaner to kill the virus and well.. you see what's happening.

Reactions: Ashful
There are plenty of examples in human history of isolated populations not faring well against disease, when recombined with the populations from which they have descended, after many years of isolation. However, on such a short time scale, I think either factor is not worth even considering, in the face of the alternative.

Yes, I have read that centuries ago, urban populations tended to have better immunity to newer mutated viruses because they had more frequent exposure (than isolated rural communities) to related viruses over prior decades.

But in the short term, over weeks or months, isolation can be a benefit. The example of self-isolated American Somoa (with zero deaths) during the Spanish Flu seems notable.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
Status
Not open for further replies.