Correct way to stack wood???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL! If I ever make it out your way, I'll be sure to let you know! I'll post pics of whatever pallet set up I end up fabricating. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shari said:
I am still in process of stacking my wood but here's the system I am using:

P1010028.jpg

For winter I plan on putting pallets on top with tarps attached to the top pallets. The top pallets will be raised about 6" along the length to allow runoff.

Shari

The ONLY difference from what I do is use a longer piece of 2x4 (pressure-treated) for the diagonal brace.

Works for me!

skinnykid said:
one thing that I don not like about pallet stacking or rack stacking is. When ever it rains hard, water and dirt splash up and cover the first couple rows of splits with mud. They seem to never dry. I could put some stone around them but that sounds like work and could cost $$. Yuck.

Skinny, with all due respect, please have a look at my wood piles. The picture above is of a wood pile that has been stacked for several years. How much dirt do you see on the wood? Yes, I've seen the mud that can splash onto the wood but it doesn't take very long to dry and flake off.

Spikem said:
The ONLY difference from what I do is use a longer piece of 2x4 (pressure-treated) for the diagonal brace.
Works for me!

Spikem, I've seen stacks like you mention. There are a couple of reasons I didn't do it that way. 1. I have a top planned which will tie them all together (2x4 runners w/pallets on top the runners); 2.) I didn't have much in stock for scrap 2x4's! :)

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.