Corrosion on door of Regency CI2600 after 1 year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edge-of-the-woods

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2014
Hamden, CT USA
Anyone else seen this on their units?

IMG_2165.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG

Wondering if high heat burned off the paint. Has the stove been overfired?

Looks like rust, not corrosion. Make sure you remove all traces of rust before painting.

uhhh rust is corrosion.
Uhh-you might want to look it up. Rust is mostly caused by moisture coming in contact with metal. Corrosion is usually caused by chemicals coming in contact with metal. Corrosion is more of a white substance. Rust=brown

Uhh-you might want to look it up. Rust is mostly caused by moisture coming in contact with metal. Corrosion is usually caused by chemicals coming in contact with metal. Corrosion is more of a white substance. Rust=brown

Rust Is just what corrosion is called on ferrous metals. And it can be cause by water or chemicals.

In other words, the corrosion process taking place when there is iron, it is known as rusting.

Uhh-you might want to look it up
Read the beginning of the section on rust in the article you poseted it says
Rusting is a chemical process, which is common with the metals containing iron. In other words, the corrosion process taking place when there is iron, it is known as rusting.

I guess it's all in how one interprets the definition between the two. :)

That went astray quickly...........[emoji15]

Reactions: Smoked
I guess it's all in how one interprets the definition between the two.
The only definition i have ever seen says that it is corrosion on ferrous metal No interpretation required.

That went astray quickly
Yes back on topic just clean it up with a scotch brite pad wipe it down with a solvent then respray it with stove brite paint

Last edited:
Thank you!

Damage after one year, I'd talk to my edge. Worth a phone call to see if they will replace the door. Also get it on the record in case other things crop up.

Damage after one year, I'd talk to my edge. Worth a phone call to see if they will replace the door. Also get it on the record in case other things crop up.
They will not replace the door there is no damage. If i sold the stove i would gladly repaint it for you if that happened in a year so i would call your dealer and see if they will. But no they will not replace the door for that.

They will not replace the door there is no damage. If i sold the stove i would gladly repaint it for you if that happened in a year so i would call your dealer and see if they will. But no they will not replace the door for that.
If my door looked like that after a year I'd be calling and looking for a mutually acceptable fix.

If my door looked like that after a year I'd be calling and looking for a mutually acceptable fix.
Agreed but paint is a perfectly acceptable fix. Regency will absolutely not replace that door for that little bit of rust.

Going back to your topic when you clean your glass did you over spray it with your cleaner?

Block off the chimney in the summer. Warm humid air will condense moisture when it comes into contact with the colder stove which is usually in the air-conditioned house.

Wow. Go away for a few days and look what you get :) Didn't expect a science discussion!

So to answer some questions.....

1. I don't think the stove has ever overfired, the hottest the cat probe has ever read is 1300, and that was once....usually I start shutting down the air at 1200/1250.

2. I only cleaned the glass a few times, for the past year I just let it burn itself clean. I also only ever cleaned stray ash off the door when the stove is already HOT, so any moisture (clean rag and tap water for cleaning) just evaporates in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.