Corrosive Corn Exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
This is what corn exhaust does to a galvanized tee in one season. I use this as a termination cap. The Simpson shiny stainless term cap pin holes in abut 1.5 yrs. I just put a new galv. tee on each year, much cheaper. The pellet pro pipe interior still looks like new, but the alloy that the termination cap is made of does not hold up.

Attachments

• stove pipe.JPG
    stove pipe.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: kappel15 and bags
WOW! Yeah, I'd say the corn is way harsher on pipe than pellets....

It is worth it though. I got corn for $118/ton out the door direct from farmer. It is the only way I can afford to keep the house hot enough for the wife! She likes it about 75F! SHe is in a sweatshirt and I am in shorts and no shirt. If it gets to hot I shut stove down or crack a window

Reactions: kappel15
The pipe that you have shown in your photo is not pellet/multi-fuel pipe, there for the suger and heat off of the burning corn will corrode any less steel grade quicker, that is why the other pipe looks better. I have seen corn exhaust eat away pellet pipe over years of burning. TSC does sell Dura vent multi-fuel piping.

It is worth it though. I got corn for $118/ton out the door direct from farmer. It is the only way I can afford to keep the house hot enough for the wife! She likes it about 75F! SHe is in a sweatshirt and I am in shorts and no shirt. If it gets to hot I shut stove down or crack a window
Wow thats Crazy!, she love the Hot humid sticky weather?, and you suffer all year, No A/C in Summer and Too Hot Winter

Wow thats Crazy!, she love the Hot humid sticky weather?, and you suffer all year, No A/C in Summer and Too Hot Winter
Yeah that is about right!
The pipe that you have shown in your photo is not pellet/multi-fuel pipe, there for the suger and heat off of the burning corn will corrode any less steel grade quicker, that is why the other pipe looks better. I have seen corn exhaust eat away pellet pipe over years of burning. TSC does sell Dura vent multi-fuel piping.
I originally had a Simpson stainless term cap on the pipe. But the alloy it is made of is the shiny style and corn exhaust destroys it in 1.5-2 yrs. At $40-50 each that gets expensive. The $10 tee once per year is more economical. It is a horizontal termination. If it was not for being on the west side of the house and needing some wind help I would run it open pipe.

The corn exhaust by itself isn't corrosive. It's when it mixes with moisture it then forms nitric acid. That's why the inside pipes show little to no wear, while the outside end pipe takes the brunt of moisture and rots out.

That's why it's important after the heating season to run a load of pellets on high through the stove, do a deep cleaning, coat interior with oil and stop any air flow through the stove during the warm humid months. Even adding damp rid is a good idea, or just use calcium chloride in a bucket to capture any moisture getting in the stove.