Termination cap for burning corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
I have been straight burning corn for 10 plus years. I have had issues with the term caps rotting out quickly. Simpson sent me a new one after it pin holed within 2 yrs. and new one did the same. I started just buying a galvanized tee each year and just junking it at the end of the season. Then looking around online I decided to try a Zvent term tee to see how it would hold up. I have had this tee term cap on for about 3 yrs now and it is still pristine. It fits snugly inside my 3"PelletVent Pro. Which also keeps the acidic moisture from collecting in the locking joint of a traditional cap that rots the outer galvanized part of the pipe. No special care has been taken of the pipe or cap. Ithink I am on to something. Looks like the grade of stainless that Zvent is made of is not affected by the adic corn exhaust. Zvent is used for positive pressure condensing gas applications. Here is the part number for it.
2SVSTTF03

image_67238401.JPG

Reactions: Ssyko and Mt Bob
I looked it up and it appears Simpson/Duravent is made of 444 stainless. Not the greatest for corrosion resistance. Similar to car cat converters.

Z vent is AL-29-4C stainless which is superior corrosion resistance to acids. I remember when I installed the furnace in my old house before I sold it, that was the only kind of pipe that was approved by code.

Reactions: rickwai
Actually a little further reading says 444 is way better than the other 400 series (409, etc) and supposedly equivalent to AL-29-4C. But your experience says otherwise.

Actually a little further reading says 444 is way better than the other 400 series (409, etc) and supposedly equivalent to AL-29-4C. But your experience says otherwise.
Yes the Zvent still looks new. The Duravant cap pin holed quickly. I did not research the metal types of each. Thanks for the insight! I knew condensing gas applications produce a very acidic product and that pipe is specifically designer to be resistant to that.