Cost of Electricity in Your Area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That’s a lot of money for power, I wander if anyone up there has gone solar off-grid because of the high costs there?

Im pretty sure when I switched over to solar I was just about .18 when they got done with me. Glad I did the switch. Haven't regretted it yet, doubt I ever will

Long term home power storage is not yet a viable product and may never be. Us folks up north need a an affordable "battery" that stores power for six months, so we charge the battery up in the summer and use it in the winter. There are some "bleeding edge concepts" out there but mostly on the industrial and utility scale like flow batteries where electricity is converted into changing a stable chemical compound to another chemical compound. The compounds are stored in two tanks and when power is needed the chemicals in the charged tank are passed through a device that generates power and then the remaining discharged chemical is sent to the other tank. Its a reversible process but it still takes a lot of volume of storage. A similar approach generates hydrogen and stores it but hydrogen is difficult to work with and has a low storage density. The Hindenberg was filled with hydrogen.

So you're saying we need our own rigid airship.

I've always wanted one! I'm game!

Reactions: EbS-P
About .24c/kwh, looking at solar in next couple years since Nation Grid does net metering.

I've lived in a couple of cities in the area that have municipal power companies, loads cheaper, nearly half the price. I'm guessing because both had their own power plants and solar farms, that or Nation Grid up-charges a ton.

About .24c/kwh, looking at solar in next couple years since Nation Grid does net metering.

I've lived in a couple of cities in the area that have municipal power companies, loads cheaper, nearly half the price. I'm guessing because both had their own power plants and solar farms, that or Nation Grid up-charges a ton.
Hard to beat the incentives that are offered in Mass for solar. The standard comment is in Mass if you dont pay for your own solar, you are paying for your neighbor. Mass has all these incentive programs partially funded by the ratepayer base. The small town power companies do not have to give those incentives (some do). For NGrid and Eversource customers It means built in cost increases every year just to cover the incentives they are paying to commercial and residential customers. Mass also reportedly has an incentive program through a couple of companies where you can get a "free" battery (with some strings attached). Get educated and either buy a copy of Solar Power you home for dummies, or search around the web for an older version. That will give you some unbiased education so you can tell when a solar salesman is lying.